My 88' 323 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 88' 323 GT

I came across these pics in a FS ad and with an asking price of $650 and only 174k kms on it, I couldn't turn it down, especially for a GT

I was told it had a rear strut tower rust through on it so I figured worst case scenario it would be a great donor car especially for the low miles

It had been parked since the beginning of April but it fired right up first try, but after seeing the rear strut tower I decided to play it safe and tow with the front tires on the road, ended up finding out a rear caliper was seized up anyway and it needed to be towed that way

The goods

As soon as I got home, I went onto cp.com and bought a set of rear calipers from azgtx (thanks again buddy) and got started on the tear down to repair the strut tower

Looks nasty but no fear, I have a welder :lol:

Everything removed

Then let the fab work begin

The light screwed up this pic but it has a quick coat of paint on it now

Then I reassembled the suspension, installed the new caliper and drove it for the first time

I love the little green boost light in these things lol

Next up, it had a cracked windshield

New one installed.... They installed a rubber trim around it replacing the old crappy looking metal trim which I was happy about

So with all of the issues taken care of, it was time to try an emissions test to get it licensed for the road.... But it didn't pass

After talking with a few friends I've come to the conclusion that a tune up and a new converter should get it to pass, so most likely this coming week I'll put a full exhaust on it since it doesn't look that great anyway

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Great find! I'm glad to see it's being saved from the wreckers

Comment

Awesome work on the rear strut tower! Great to see another one saved. Ontario weather is hard on these cars.

Comment

Gotta give it to you bro you get shi* done
        sigpic

Comment

Nice job on the tower.

Comment

Thanks guys, I certainly enjoy driving it already

I noticed today though that there's water leaking inside the car, so I'm not sure if it's from the new windshield not being sealed up or something else

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Great work man! Glad to see it being recued!
              Mazda
              1988 Black 323 GT
              DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

My 88' 323 GT

Since it failed the etest, it was time for a tune up and since the plugs looked good, I just re-gapped them to .035...... They were all around .045-.050..... Also check the timing and it's set at 10 degrees

During the safety check their was a bad exhaust leak in front of the cat, could also be what helped it fail the etest.... so since I have horrible luck with exhaust, I had them put on a full 2.25" exhaust with a flo-pro muffler

For safety they seen this rust hole in the frame which I didn't notice...

So I welded a patch

There was a few other little things needed like corner light bulbs, third brake light bulbs etc that I took care of today

One thing I've been running into since the exhaust is that I was hitting the overboost sensor..... sucks when I have been trash talking a guy at work with a 2000 Porsche Carrara lol I think I'll beat him, vids to follow haha...... So today I hooked up a boost gauge and unplugged the overboost vacuum line.... On the test drive the gauge didn't go passed 10 psi so I'm thinking the boost just barely creeped high enough to trigger the fuel cut, either way I'll be keeping a very close eye on it until I can get a Reich or Rocketchipped ECU

Comment

Passed safety and emissions today

Officially street legal woot woot!!

Comment

A few recent pictures.... I'm really loving this thing

Comment

Seems like a beast of a car man!!!! Glad to see its all road legal now

Comment

I miss the crap out of mine, yours is looking great!
                        1991 Mazda 323 Base (Gretchen)-Build Thread
                        Sold-1987 Mazda 323 Wagon (Molly)-Build Thread
                        R.I.P.-1988 Mazda 323 GT (Misty) -Build Thread

Oh Colorado, how beautiful your mountains and awesome your roads!

Comment

Thanks guys... However my trip to summit racing yesterday I discovered how badly my drivers CV axle is worn, so I'll be replacing that most likely tomorrow since I have spares in the garage anyway lol

Comment

A few upgrades to post

Had to have a boost gauge.... Pulls good vacuum at idle

Once it got plated, it needed a new CD player, so I got one with Bluetooth so I can talk hands free on my cell

Then I picked up overnight parts from Japan..... Actually Poland, I wanted to quote fast and furious lol

JDM corners, headlights, and 220km/h speedos (stock only goes to 200)

Old and busted

New hotness

I still need to swap the clusters though

Comment

Nice upgrades you got there.

Comment

Working...
                              X