Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed my struts on the 323 (but the damn rust)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed my struts on the 323 (but the damn rust)

Well last night me and my friend were installing the struts on the 323 ... Oh my god what a pain . There was so much rust under the car that it was not funny. (more on that later and pics if I get time).
    Then there was the problem of the struts ....
    the drivers side rear , the strut mount had totally broke off and the spring dislodged itself from the strut and basically was only resting in the pearch...
    Then there was the task of getting the rusty ass bolts seperated . ohh boy..

One hit from the sledge hammer revealed a crap load of rust to drop on the floor.
    We finally got the new ones in and installed and they feel much better than the waterbed shocks that I had in the car.

We later took the shocks to a local dumpster belonging to ??? and dumped em ... hehehehe ...

Now the car rides nice and smooth ..

Is there anything that I can do about the under rust. What about a wire brush and some paint .. won't that take to long. I mean for gods sake there is rust everywhere.

The car originated in Vermont so I figure all the snow and crap may be the reason why ..

B1
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

just dont let the thing fall apart. I was affraid wils protege was gunna fall apart when me and him replaced the entire rear suspension. every hit if the sledge to loosen the bolts he lost like a lb or 2 of rus and metal fallin off. Ive seen it , and know how them mazdas are with rust. hehe

MAZDA...LIKE A ROCK! heheh
    Maroon 1995 Probe SE
    Beige 1994 Protege DX
    Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

here are some photo's

pic1 pic 2 pic 3 pic 4 pic5

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Remove as much of the rust as possible. You can use a wire brush or you can even sand it down to bare metal. Then go to your local auto store and pick up a can or two of the undercoating stuff they sell. My car gets sprayed with that stuff before every winter season and it's been holding up well so far.
        -------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
        -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

I wanted to see piles of rust

We had a suby loyale, bunch of years ago that we were told to not drive it anymore because the floor might fall out sometime while driving..haha that mighta hurt.

I saw on an episode of "Trucks" the guy replaced the floor on a bronco and used this black sealant over top of the rusted parts, its supposed to make a good seal and keep it intact. Yeah i know trucks, but who doesn't like monster trucks.
          95 ES
          05 S60R

Comment

haha ,, I still need to put the gauge cluster in and the door handle that I got from the yard. I need to go down there and search around some more and see if I find something ... I need to sell some stuff on ebay so I can make some type of extra cash ....

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
            X