Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on removing dash pad

Hi,
    I'm patching cracks in the dash pad of a 1986 323 and would like to remove the entire pad assembly for refurbishing. Does anyone know how many attachment points there are? I have found the three screws under the caps near the windshield and one bolt behind the passenger A/C vent. I'm sure there are more, probably harder to get to?
    Thanks!

There are 20 of them. Easiest way is pull the whole dash out.

Comment

20! Yow! I don't guess Mazda ever thought someone would want to remove just that part! Is dash pulling doable by one person?

Comment

I have done it many times. 10 or so bolts, 3 vent cables and some wire connectors. Drop the knee vent and steering column first then pull the glove box and center console. 3 bolts by the windshield, 2 left of the glove box hole, 2 under the console then 1 on each side under the speaker area. Could be a couple more.

Comment

I'm gunna have to pull my dash soon.... Stupid water leaks ugh

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Well, I got the dash out. Took a full afternoon off and on. I would not call that fun! Hope it all goes back together, or my wife will kill me!

Comment

What are you doing to the dash pad?

Comment

Repairing the cracks, re-texture and paint. The repair tools from Urethane Supply do a surprisingly good job of fixing cracks if one has patience and skill. If I had local access to someone who would replace the pad/vinyl that would be preferable, but that dash contour is a beast (which is one reason why it cracks so much).

Comment

Flocking is also an alternative. Post up the before and after pics.

Comment

Flocking. Interesting. Had never thought of that. Knew it more as an arts and crafts technique, but I now see pics on the web. Anyway, no time to investigate that now. I have to get this all back together before leaving town Monday or there will be an unhappy spouse here.

Comment

btw, i can now see those 20 attachment points for the dash pad. No way anyone will get that thing off w/o pulling the dash and then removing many parts from the dash to get to them. Total pain.

Comment

So glad that both of my GT's have had dash covers since new.
                        1988 Mazda 323 gt (red)
                        1988 Mazda 323 gt (grey)
                        1967 Lancia Fulvia coupe
                        1969 Lancia Fulvia sport Zagato
                        1986 Volkswagon Vanagon
                        1988 Toyota pickup 4x4(white)
                        1988 Toyota pickup 4x4(brown)
                        yikes that's too many cars

Comment

Working...
                        X