Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Wanna Paint My Valve Cover!! Can Someone Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Wanna Paint My Valve Cover!! Can Someone Help?

I wanna paint my valve cover but I don't have any experience with engines. I don't know what's involved with taking anything off of an engine. How hard is it to do? Does it just come right off or would you recomed letting a pro do it? What will happen when I take it off? Will stuff start coming out? I wanna know!! Any help will be great.
    Last edited by customprotege; 03-21-2004, 09:23 AM.
    [

Unbolt the Valve cover, scrape off all the gasket material, on the head and valve cover, clean the valve cover with a good degreaser and plenty of hot water.
    Paint with whatever colour paint you like, do a few light coats if you want. Let it dry, Re install valve cover with a new gasket.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

so nothing will happen when I unbolt it? I can just take it off, get a new gasket, and put it right back on?
      [

Comment

lets hope so
        i unbolted mine once, just to see how the head looks like , nothing happend
        One day you are born,
        The next big milestone
        you discover go zoom-zoom
        you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

Cool, I've never took one off before so I didn't know what to expect.
          [

Comment

yeah don't do this at a party when you and your friends that want to do this are drunk and stoned. oh man it cuased me a lot of trouble. my friend said the original gasket would work.

leaked oil, the gasket wasn't on currectly and after driving it for 15 minutes on the freeway and through town a plume of smoke came outa my hood and and i look under it and there was oil all over the place even in my spark plug holes too. two spark plugs for submerged in oil. anyways to end this i went to go clean my engine bay out with degreaser and most of the paint came off or change to a weird looking orange so it was all pointless and my engine bay looks like crap, cept for my Injen CAI
            sigpic
            1987 Rx7 TurboII (Stripped and Crush R.I.P )
            1987 Rx7 Sport (Street port Rebuild almost done.)
            2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe w/ sports package

Comment

NE1 have an idea what a new gasket cost?
              [

Comment

Nevermind, I found it. $25.00.
                [

Comment

Originally posted by customprotege
                  Nevermind, I found it. $25.00.
                  Where? just curious...
                  Whats life if you cant enjoy it?

Comment

isnt your gasket rubber, mine on my 2k is and i ve had my VC off about 10 times and reinstalled with no leak problems yet.
                    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

yeah ive used my gasket over and over and it never leaked so u should be safe unless it looks tore up
                      i is dumb

Comment

[

Comment

I'm having my valve cover powder coated by my man's uncle. He's all into that kinda of stuff he did my husbands on his Crx and it looks great! Good Luck man!
                          "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

how long will your car be out for. ive thought of doin that but really cant afford to have my car out for a long time. can anyone tell me a reasonable time for doing this? thanks!
                            2003 protege dx; black mica
                            titanium tip thermal exhaust
                            k&n typhoon complete CAI
                            custom engine dress up
                            custom interior dress up
                            5" autometer tach-silver face
                            20% solar tint all around
                            obx stainless steel headers
                            stainless steel strut bar
                            Racers Design shift knob w/custom short shifter
                            17" MSR-105 gunmetal wheels, nitto neo-gen tires205/40zr17

Comment

it took me 1 hour to paint my valve cover...
                              According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                              X