Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subjective: What PSI should I use???

Hello again My Favorite Ladies and Gentlemen,
    As some of you know I just mounted my new rims and tires last weekend (in the photo section), but I had some questions on tire pressure. I'm open to all opinions and facts. I'm not an idiot I just need some insight...

Tire and other random info:
    205/40/17 Size tires, Directional, Max rated at 44PSI
    - First gen 5-speed
    - Normally not going to have car loaded
    - I have a first gen, SOHC... Not going anywhere fast
    - regular driving conditions

The reasons I'm interested:
    1). I'm afraid of random potholes, afraid that 40 psi is not enough for ****ty Cincy Roads
    2). Heard that having pressure too high leads to uneven tire wear.
    3). 40 psi seems too low for the front, because of engine weight, sidewall is compressed a little too much for my liking
    4). When I tire discounters balanced and mounted my **** they had the front wheels at 50+psi, and i didnt realize til i got home... I wasnt sure if they did that on purpose or not.
    5). Heard pumping up higher than max PSI was only for transporting heavy load.
    6). Interested if higher pressure will dick me worse in the rain...

Anything would help my people... Keep hope alive.

MeeN "Slappin these fools with the white side of my hand"
    1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
    1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
    2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
    2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

I have 205/45-16's and I run 34 to 36 PSI, never higher. My stock 195/55-15's were listed as 32 PSI and I find that 2 to 4 PSI above stock seems right for this size for a daily driver as it gives me good handling and good wet performance and always feels stable.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

it kinda matters wut u like i like alil more air so ican feel the road more and less air is to soft for me so its up to u
      i is dumb

Comment

Well... I'm really not even gonna go for preference on this one Street... I dont know... I'm just kinda in a dilemma ya know? I'm just gonna weight my options when I get enough info from all yall... Thanks

Comment

tire shops always over inflate, if you ask them they will tell you that. i usually keep mine at 1 or 2 psi under the maximum. if you start to notice tire wear in the middle you have too much air, wear towards the edge of the tires you have too little.
          95 ES
          05 S60R

Comment

just drive slow on the bumps dude, thats what sux about low pros
            According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

all said and done you should NEVER exceed the limit posted on the sidewall of the tire. That is the limit for safety! I would be on the phone reaming the manager at the shop a new one if I found my tires inflated to 50psi!

As for the correct number, I have heard that in most cases even if you change the tire size you can usually stay at about the original recommended pressure for the tires that came with the car. On my tires I run 32psi (cold) to 34psi (cold).

If during spirited drving you are noticing some sidewall deflection then you might consider upping the pressure a little bit (36-38 PSI).
              Last edited by JJB; 03-23-2004, 06:26 AM.
              --JJB--
              '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
              Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
              16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
              15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
              Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Good info... I think ill up it to about 38... max says 44... then maybe come down a bit when it gets hot...

MeeNerS

Comment

Working...
                X