Duralast Platinum AGM Batteries - Not Safe for Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duralast Platinum AGM Batteries - Not Safe for Purchase

Most of our Forum members know I'm a big fan of absorbed glass mat (AGM) batteries and I've been using them for years. I currently have an Exide Edge in my Protégé, I installed an Optima Red Top in my son's 2011 2.5 L 3 and while my wife's 2013 SkyActiv 3 still has the OEM storage device, when replacement time comes due once again it will be an AGM.

Despite the proven advantages of AGM batteries, one contemporary product failed to make the grade. As reported in the March 2015 issue of Consumer Reports magazine, in their latest round of car battery tests, one model failed miserably: the Duralast Platinum with AGM technology. Consumer Reports applies the industry-wide standard battery life test which involves repeated charge and discharge cycles over a period of 15 weeks after which time it should still exhibit good performance. Not only did all the tested Duralast AGM batteries fail to reach the 15 week threshold but they all performed worse than the Duralast conventional batteries.

No reason was given for this abject failure but caveat emptor.

Duralast is sold by Autozone so those of you in the market for an AGM type ought to look elsewhere.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

How many of each battery did they run? If less than 10 it wouldn't be surprised as with any lower end parts house parts the defect rate is high.

Semi-related.

I did manage to get a decade out of a wet duralast, was still working fine until terminal snapped.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Consumer Reports (CR) didn't mention specifically how many samples of each Duralast Platinum Battery they tested but if they experience a high failure rate on any product they test they always obtain more samples to make sure a non-standard bad batch hasn't been obtained. Furthermore, at the same time they tested Duralast conventional batteries which performed normally and, in this instance, far outperformed the Platinum AGM types.

Although CR didn't say so, I assume there could have been some flaw in the production process in whichever company makes these batteries for AutoZone. Presumably, at some point it will be corrected. At least one hopes so.

Happy Motoring!
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

good information!!
        I actually need to replace my battery. & check all of my connections. the end of last season i notice my battery would no longer hold a charge. for reasons that still remain unknown. (hopefully its battery related & not an electrical demon)
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I'm running a Ballistic 8 cell LiFEPO4 in the racecar. Only about 2lbs. It starts the car better than any AGM battery I've ever used. Having to use a special charger makes it a bit of qa pain, but I'm tempted to try one of the larger Ballistic 12 cell LiFEPO4 batteries in the daily driver MX3.

I've attached a quick connect to it so I can get it out of the car easier.

Comment

what kind of cranking amps do you see out of that dinky battery??
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
              I''ll have to double check but I think it's 240 CCA.

Comment

one of my friends has a Duralast AGM jam in his racecar, been there for the last three years and has been fine?

I use a Deka ETX-30L in my S13, it's been more reliable than anything else in the car...
                sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
                  one of my friends has a Duralast AGM jam in his racecar, been there for the last three years and has been fine?
                  The Consumer Reports test on which this article is based appears in their current March 2015 issue and therefore deals with Duralast Platinum's current production, not that of three year's ago.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Ah, must have missed that, sorry
                    sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Ryan, if you're looking for a smaller, lighter battery that should still provide reliable service and decent longevity in a road car, check out some of the choices available for the Miata.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

I need to buy a good battery charger......

Comment

I need to buy a good battery charger......
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	i-should-buy-a-boat-cat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	1239304
                          Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                          kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                          Originally posted by HopelessCow
                          there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                          Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

I can absolutely see this as being true. We are having huge issues at my work with Honda OEM batteries they are going bad after about two weeks and our Honda replacment batteries last about a year.

92 GT GTX Autox machine Dead and gone

98 ZX2 Currently rusty Need a new car

Comment

Optima makes two digital type battery chargers that will accommodate either AGM or flooded electrolyte lead acid types (they each have different charging requirements).

You can check them out at their website:
                              OPTIMA® Batteries provides superior deep cycle & starting batteries for high performance cars, trucks, & marine vehicles! Discover OPTIMA® today to get started!

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Working...
                              X