Brake fade bad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake fade bad!

I did 3 runs at the autox today, and at the end of the third run i had really bad brake fade. Almost like they werent working at all. Anyways, can anyone recommend some good ss lines, and some brake fluid? (Not from corksport) Thanks!
    Eat ****.

Rather than spend money on SS brake lines, just flush the brake system with new fluid. For autocross use which fluid you use is less important than maintaining the brake system by flushing it periodically. I've just been using Castrol GT/LMA which is nothing special but works fine.
    Before replacing the brake lines, I'd also consider new pads. Something like the Hawk HP+ works well for autocross but is dusty.
    How long has it been since you've flushed out the system?
    Chris
    '91 Protege LX
    '99 Miata sport

Comment

I havent flushed out the system since Ive owned the car (almost a year). Someone just recommended Dot 4 fluid instead of Dot 3. Is there a big difference there? I just put KVR carbon fiber Pads on all 4 corners, are the Hawk's better? Kvr's are pretty dusty to. Thanks for the advice!
      Eat ****.

Comment

Dot 4 has higher standards, but i don't think you'll ever be able to tell the difference...as long as it's well maintained, 3 or 4 will be fine.

If you've just put new pads on, then i gather they may have gotten glazed...or thier not very good pads...i dunno, don't know about the KVR pads.

As for the Hawk HP+ recommendation...I have the HPS pads, and was told by a few verteran autoxers, that the HPS would be better suited to a street driven car. Where as the HP+ are racing pads and require more heat to work optimum and may chew at the rotors more. Cold in traffic or around town braking may be hindered. And yes, the Hawk pads are dusty as hell, be prepared for many a wheel cleaning.

Actually, on Saturday we had a Prosolo style full day practice, and i was doing 4 back to back runs (x2 40sec courses) in a toal of about 8 minutes. Brakers where just fine.

(ProSolo has two mirrored courses side by side, there is a drag style start with a light tree and everything. You both run at the same time, then crossover to the other course, then back again. total of 4 runs, 2 each side. It's a total BLAST! it's fast, intense and really competetive. Your now head to head with another car, not just the course or the clock. It's very different from Solo2 in that respect)

Originally posted by 91ProtegeLX
        I havent flushed out the system since Ive owned the car (almost a year). Someone just recommended Dot 4 fluid instead of Dot 3. Is there a big difference there? I just put KVR carbon fiber Pads on all 4 corners, are the Hawk's better? Kvr's are pretty dusty to. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
          If you've just put new pads on, then i gather they may have gotten glazed...or thier not very good pads...i dunno, don't know about the KVR pads.
          I, too have never heard of KVR pads. They may be your problem... maybe not.

As for the Hawk HP+ recommendation...I have the HPS pads, and was told by a few verteran autoxers, that the HPS would be better suited to a street driven car. Where as the HP+ are racing pads and require more heat to work optimum and may chew at the rotors more.
          The HP+ is actually at the high performance end of Hawk's street pads. (you can find good information about them on Tirerack's website.) While they do work even better as they warm up, they're fine when street driven. The very first stop can be a little less than expected but they don't require any significant heat to work safely. If you're only an occasional autocrosser, the HPS is fine, but the HP+ definitely has a performance edge.
          Once again, though, start with flushing the system before bothering with other stuff.
          Chris
          '91 Protege LX
          '99 Miata sport

Comment

Valvoline synthetic DOT4 is readily available at most automotive shops and is dirt cheap. That's what I use.
            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
            -93 MR2, 129 ES
            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Cool thanks alot. I bought the KVR pads from corksport, and they told me they were one of the best pads they sold. WHo knows, Ill prolly try the HPS pads when I get paid next. Tirerack.com you said?? Also, I just put on new rotors in the front as well, would that have anything to do with it?? Ill be flushing out my system tomorrow....thanks alot again.
              Eat ****.

Comment

yea, i kno they work fine. But I like that extra stopping power that can be provided with the fancy "race" pads. Especially when Im autox'ing.
                Eat ****.

Comment

Good point. I don't know what to say about that.
                  Eat ****.

Comment

"feel" is important...

i drove Jason's H-stock car with aftermarket brake pads and they're on the level of the best braking feel ive ever driven.

the reason you had brake fade is fluid, but that doesn't mean you can't upgrade other parts.
                    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                    -93 MR2, 129 ES
                    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                      you're not getting any extra stopping power if your stock brakes/stock pads can lock up your tires without any effort
                      That's true... to a point. The main reason I went with aftermarket pads on my Miata was because the OEM pads have ****ty feel. I could never determine whether the tires were on the verge of lockup or if one front wheel was already locked. With the Hawk pads, it's easy to tell the difference. Also, it's easier to keep the car on the threshold of lockup and I've flat spotted way fewer tires than I had with the OEM pads. (The Miata, with a *big* front swaybar, tends to lock a front wheel if you're not going completely straight when you apply the brakes.)
                      That the aftermarket pads provide higher stopping power for a given amount of pedal travel means that I can spend fractionally shorter time on the brakes too... but that's grasping at straws, really.
                      An added bonus of the HP+ pads is that they are much less prone to not working when I'm driving on the highway when it's raining- the factory pads were horrible for that.
                      Chris
                      '91 Protege LX
                      '99 Miata sport

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                        "feel" is important...

i drove Jason's H-stock car with aftermarket brake pads and they're on the level of the best braking feel ive ever driven.

What kind of pads were those??
                        Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                          you're not getting any extra stopping power if your stock brakes/stock pads can lock up your tires without any effort
                          while this is true, it's the staying power after repeated hard braking. While not so much a factor in autox (but still can be) it's definetely needed for any kind of track runs.

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                            Valvoline synthetic DOT4 is readily available at most automotive shops and is dirt cheap. That's what I use.
                            Yeah, I've used Castrol GT-LMA without any problems. Don't know the price compared to Valvoline but it's still rather inexpensive.

I agree on pads before SS lines too, but SS lines *are* a nice addition, at least to me. I wouldn't put it on the bottom priority.
                            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
                            X