1989 Mazda 323 sedan hatch back!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 Mazda 323 sedan hatch back!!

I recently just baught a Mazda 323 and I'm wanting to put a more reliable engine in it was wondering what would be the easiest motor to swap the current one is a 1.6l sohc b series

More reliable than the stock, B6 motor? Maybe a BP from a Protégé LX. But the B6 is pretty bullet-proof.

Comment

Yep...what Terry said. Leave it alone. If it isn't running right, fix it.

Comment

Terry da man....

Comment

Well it was fine but it started over heating here lately and I've replaced everything that could be replaced if it isn't the head gasket so now I'm kinda nervous I would it would rather just get a whole new engine with no worries and more power as well

Comment

Speaking of which: I need to replace my radiator cap, check the hoses, water pump, flush radiator, replace the thermostat, check the fan and wiring because summer is coming. *cough*

Comment

Changed all hoses changed water pump last week and timing belt while I was at it thermostat like a month ago it's hasn't over heated but the summer is why I'm worried and I have a little bit of white smoke coming out but my dip stick is clean so I'm just like I'll just get a new engine and not have to worry if I could find the exact same one I would buy that engine just to make it easier on me for installing purposes

Comment

Headgasket really isn't too bad a job, at least on a BP, and I'd be surprised if a B6 was any different. If you're worried about other internals, any other used engine is still going to be a crapshoot. You already know the one you've got.

If you want to rebuild an engine to have on hand for a hotswap some weekend, that's great. That's a good plan if you have the space for it. If you're thinking of swapping a junkyard engine and running with it, you may or may not have some unpleasant surprises. I'd rather do the headgasket and inspect things while I've got it torn down that far.

In the end it's your call.
                1990 Protege 4WD
                GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                ├┼┤
                2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

i don't have a engine lift or else I would do the head gasket myself

Comment

You don't need a hoist to do a head gasket. Motor stays in the car.

Comment

Hmm well yea I might tackle that task then can't be too hard right

Comment

B6 is VERY easy to do the head gasket on. I did it on my 88 sedan in about 4 hours by myself. Don't even have to remove the intake just loosen it and move it back. Same goes for the exhaust. B6 is way easier then the BP/B6t!
                        1991 Mazda 323 Base (Gretchen)-Build Thread
                        Sold-1987 Mazda 323 Wagon (Molly)-Build Thread
                        R.I.P.-1988 Mazda 323 GT (Misty) -Build Thread

Oh Colorado, how beautiful your mountains and awesome your roads!

Comment

Well I ordered a new gasket when it arrives im gonna try to tackle the task hopefully every thing goes right

Comment

The only hang up I have had was having the right socket for the new head bolts. It's been a long time but I remember there was something strange about the bolt heads. Of you get new bolts, make sure you don't have to run to the store for a new socket. (Just my unfortunate experience)

Comment

Aight thanks I will do that and my cover for my exhaust is super old the boots are just snapping I stop when the first two broke any tips

Comment

Working...
                              X