Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do the carrier bearings go out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do the carrier bearings go out?

I'm getting some vibration in the seat on acceleration and am trying to tack it down. I don't think it's rear wheel bearings. One of those drive shaft carrier bearings seems more likely.

UPDATE:Got it fixed. $27 part off ebay. Needed 14mm to Remove the housing. 8mm to remove the U joints, which were fine. Removed the drive shaft from the Tran...

I think this is the vibration I'm feeling. Not this bad though. lol

Can a person even buy these anymore?
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

holy crap thats a scary video
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I am damn near outta bandwidth til the 18th ( i ****ing hate metered internet) so I better not look just get but i have never killed a carrier bearing...including both rallycars. I have however seen a couple of bent propshafts. Carrier bearing should be an easy diagnosis, does it let the shaft shake around a lot? then yeah, dead. I hate to say it but the output shaft bearing is more likely. grab propshaft like you wanna choke it to death, should be easy to visualize, and again it the shaft moved up and down, it's had it...
      Last edited by jay; 05-15-2015, 09:00 AM.
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Four jackstands, get it off the ground, 5th gear, let it roll. Stethoscope the transfer case by the output shaft, as well as the carrier bearing. Need a hand, let me know. Im in the Vancouver area.
        Mazda
        1988 Black 323 GT
        DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Working...
        X