P5 Daily Driver Fun and oddities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P5 Daily Driver Fun and oddities

Cleaned the new P5 today. Looks awesome with a wash and wax. Unbelievable how much built up crud was on that car.

Found a puddle in the car though. Anyone seen that before? Can't imagine it's common.

No mold. No rust in frame that I can tell. Some in the pan for the spare tire, but it's minor. I grabbed pics. Water is in this little cup in the frame between the driver rear wheel well and tail light. I ripped out the plastics back there, which was shockingly and blessedly easy, and didn't see anything worrying. no idea where the stupid water ingressed. Muddy water I might add. Maybe it invaded that vent back there? Or some hole in the wheel well I didn't see?

Anywho. As long as there's no appreciable rust in the frame and no mold, I'll just keep an eye out for future trouble.

Wondering if it just pooled in through a bad seal thanks to all that crap on the weather stripping.

Next stop: replacing the rear rotors and pads. The ebrake currently does nothing, which is discomfitting. Going to wait to drive it until I get that done.

Spare tire pan well thing:

Comment

Mud puddle:

Comment

Whew, took me an appalling 4 hours to do the rotors and pads in back. Maybe 5. :p

Had a hard time getting the adjustment nuts working. One side was stripped out on the inside where it engages the adjustment screw and the other side was spinning free. Ended up swapping the good adjustment nut to the side with the stripped nut and just pushing the other side in with my dad's brake tool.

Tried adjusting the parking brake, but that didn't work. So I still have no parking brake. SIGH. Will try again later to get it all adjusted properly. Maybe today after work. Think maybe I can use the now functional and hopefully not also stripping out nut on the one side to at least adjust that pad out properly, then see if I can't get the parking brake cable adjusted. Not sure how to tell if it's the adjustment, the cables are bad or something else. :p The parking brake was doing nothing before, but I was hoping it was just because everything had worn down so much. But if I can't get it adjusted then maybe one of the cables is actually bad. One of the little boots on the cables where they attach to the brakes is cracked. Can one bad cable foul up the whole system?

At least I have good rotors and pads and therefore hopefully good brakes back there, now.

Comment

i like my e-brake to be tight , i set my rear pads to a light dragging resistance on the rim when turning. (any resistance is usually gone after the first few stops so no worry of dragging long term)
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Well I'd love to get mine functional. Like at all. :p Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow or Saturday. Shouldn't take long at any rate. My dad has a nice socket set that fits around the screw to basically any depth, so just need to get over there and monkey with things until I am happy with it or have determined it needs new cables, sigh.

EDIT: Got it functional. Just needed to adjust the pads on the side where the adjustment screw actually functions.
            Last edited by icepick37; 05-22-2015, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X