The time has come...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The time has come...

I have a '99 LX, 1.6, and I've had it for a couple years. It's been back forth accross the country and served me well. Today it rolled past the 100,000 mile mark. 100,006 to be exact and it's time to freshen her up.

My goals are:
    - increase low and high RPM power
    - drop it an inch or two, update suspension and put on some nice rims
    - switch to four wheel disc brakes and increase brake size.
    - freshen the exterior with some ground FX. Probably just a lip kit, skirt and tail. New front and rear light setups, to include fog lights.
    - redo the existing grey and black interior to something more interesting. Update gauges and install interior neon.
    - new stereo, and
    - Modifying the automatic to make it a manual shift auto.

I have experience building and customizing older cars and trucks, but this is the first car that was newer than '78 that I have decided to take on.

I've been reading the forums and most people seem to be happy with a new intake and a better exhaust. What are the pros and cons of the available intakes, and how do you like the cat back exhausts?

I've seen that a lot of people are using the Eibach kits and was wondering what else works well for these cars. I'm not going to just heat the springs or cut them so we can leave that option out.

My big question though is has anyone converted the Mazda Automatic to a manual shift before. Not using a clutch but just set it up where you control when it shifts and it doesn't shift on it's own?

Thanks,
    LB
    That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you stick your head in stinky cheese and eat grasshoppers.

99 LX

Welcome!

Frankly, the 1.6 doesn't repond well to intake/exhaust. I had the Injen CAI on my car and while it did sound nice, it didn't really have any noticeable gains. The problem with the Injen's are that some people are complaining about hesitation with it. If you do a search you'll find more info on it.

I have the Eibach Pro Kit along w/ the MSP Tokico blues and MSP swaybars. The car handles beautifully.

The Protege's not a good drag racer, but it is a helluva lot of fun in the twisties.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
      Welcome!

Frankly, the 1.6 doesn't repond well to intake/exhaust. I had the Injen CAI on my car and while it did sound nice, it didn't really have any noticeable gains. The problem with the Injen's are that some people are complaining about hesitation with it. If you do a search you'll find more info on it.

I have the Eibach Pro Kit along w/ the MSP Tokico blues and MSP swaybars. The car handles beautifully.

The Protege's not a good drag racer, but it is a helluva lot of fun in the twisties.

Thanks.

I actually spent quite a bit of time at your site while I was deciding on which path to take (mod wise) with this car. The Eibach kit seems pretty popular, I'll probably go with that. Do you have any recommendations for some small horse power gain. I just want a little power on the freeway and going up hills. I have no need to drag race, I'm thinking more of a cruiser that can kick @ss on a canyon road.
      That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you stick your head in stinky cheese and eat grasshoppers.

99 LX

Comment

Some headers from OBX would probably suit you pretty well.

Comment

If you're looking for a few extra horses you might try an underdrive pulley, and lightweight flywheel.
          If you want cams, you can try these out and see what happens.
          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

99 LX

Comment

hey guys im going to look into these cams from corksport and someone told me that pclub has or was trying to get a groub buy going on....im replacing my timing belt in 2 weeks or so and was just going to experiment with the cam switch too. Does anyone know the group buy i am talking about.
              According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
              X