clicking from ignition coil & unstable idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clicking from ignition coil & unstable idle

I'm having a strange clicking noise coming from the ignition coil (where the spark plug wires connect). I'm not positive that is what is making the noise, but it is coming from that general area. It only makes the sound when the car is in drive and stopped (brake applied) (or when it is in park, the noise is not audible)
    Also, when the car is in drive and stopped (brake applied), the idle flucuates sometimes from what appears to be a crazy low 300-400 rpms. I'm not sure what the stock idle is supposed to be.
    The car is a 2000 with the 1.8L.

Sorry for the noob questions guys, I'm a Nissan guy trying to make sense of this Mazda. Let me know if you have any imput on whether this car is worth purchasing (i.e. if there are any common problems that you guys run into). I am testing it out for a day from the dealer. Thanks!

One more thing, do these cars have distributors?

-Brandon

Hmmm, well, I might have an answer for part of your problem--when your a/c compressor is running (which is on unless you have the dash vent or vent/floor
    setting on), the idle will fluctuate. This drove me crazy until I read a thread about it, and yeah, it does seem to idle pretty low, from about 4-500rpm up to about 7-800.
    I have no idea 'bout the clicking noise tho'...
    '03 Sunlight Silver ES/5sp
    THUNDER 4-1 RACING HEADER
    Racing Beat Exhaust, SPD Racing SRI
    Eibach Pro-kit, MP3 ECU, MP3 Foot Pedals
    Powdercoated stockers wrapped in Yoko AVS ES100s
    Kartboy SS/Knob/Bushings

Comment

Working...
    X