Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Anyone Attempting The 97-02 Mirage Halo Swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Anyone Attempting The 97-02 Mirage Halo Swap...

Disclaimer:If this is in the wrong section because this is a BG swap, I apologise, since there was no dedicated BG wiring and electronics section, I just figured I'd put it here. Mods please move to proper section if necessary.

So, I was attempting the halo light install found here: http://www.wihandyman.com/wil/howto/projectors/

And as such, was testing it out after figuring out where I was going to route my wires, I did a test of it, and said, "These 'low beams' are way too bright, they have to be the high beams." My logic for this is that the low beams are usually on the outside edge of most cars I've seen, and with posts like this:
    Originally posted by Blinks323 View Post
    Hey,
    I did the swap on my car. Not hard to do, Just have to be patient. Looks good in the end. I also have an HID kit hooked up aswell and its bright as hell. I get BMW's and others flashing me all the time. I even had a guy drive into a pole on the side of the road because he couldn't see the road. Don't worry the guy was ok. Recomended swap especially with the HID kit.

-Steve
    Originally posted by jumpncrash View Post
    ^^lol, maybe they aren't aligned right then...?
    Originally posted by Blinks323 View Post
    They have been aligned many times, But I still get the same result. They are just that bright I guess. I will take a picture and post later.
    [ATTACH]25599[/ATTACH]
    -Steve

Originally posted by graphicsdude View Post
    UPDATE.. UPDATE.... UPDATE..... I have my mits... headlites in for a month now... and they have paid for themselves.... total cost.. roughly 135.... on the way to the dog track to gamble... bet my buddy 100 bucks that we would get flashed highbeams for low beams at least 10 times.... total count 13 times.. ha ha ha.... my buddy... neg. 100 usd.. before we got to the track !!!!

now that I have them... could not do without them !!!!

if the broke tomorrow.. would order more tomorrow nite !!!!!
    Originally posted by Chad View Post
    they are prolly aimed wrong,, ... prolly right into oncomming traffic

Originally posted by foreword View Post
    That green Protege had his for two years now.
    I took the chance because there are a couple of Mazda Proteges with those lights on. I'm probably the first 323.
    They light up better then factory and I have to drive thru pitch black hills. My lights look fine at night with the long lights I blind everyone.
    ...I was skeptical of the instructions being right. Don't get me wrong, Gro is a genius, just this is one thing I think everyone overlooks. So, with the wiring harness that comes with the halos, you are told in the instructions to wire it this way:

And when you simply try to switch the wires at the top right of the diagram, you get your lows and highs coming on with the low beam switch, and just the highs with the high beam switch. Why? That funky little diode located between the two relays on the harness. As shown in the diagram, it acts ONLY letting power flow from the low beams on the mirage harness to the high beams on the mirage harness. Now the way mirages are wired in their stock harnesses (harnesees?) must be different because it causes the aforementioned problem: low beams = high beams or high and lows; no way to get just low beams.

Now I tried unplugging the diode to decouple the circuits, and it pretty much acted like the stock protege headlights regardless of which way they're wired. One switch is JUST low beams and the opposite is JUST high beams... I didn't like that, so I came up with the following:

So not only do you switch the wires from the instructable Gro Harlem provided, but you also either have to a)De-pin and repin in reverse the diode, or b) cut wires and mix the diode wires so that power flows the other way. Both are the same thing, one's just cleaner and requires less solder or crimp connectors... if you have the right tools...

The end result as it should be:

Low beams:

High Beams:

Photos taken at two different exposures because otherwise you couldn't make out both lights.

So, just a PSA for anyone attempting the swap, do it right, it's a simple fix. Don't piss off other drivers, and make sure you still get them aligned like I need to do!

As the Brits say, Cheers!

Now that that's out the way, I can work on my Worklog...
    Last edited by Phyre_Z; 02-29-2016, 03:00 AM.
    Manual EVERYTHING...

Hey that's really cool. Thank you for this.
    I would do it if I could but they say we aren't aloud conversion kits here in NZ. Even thought lots of new cars headlights are very blinding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Swaps like that aren't allowed in the US, either, but that doesn't really stop anyone, especially since the laws are rarely, if ever, enforced.
      1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

I mean, I'm not sure about the Halos, but the headlights themselves are H3 and H1 bulbs respectively. And according to the ebay ad (I know, I know), DOT and SAE Compliant. Just aim them right and you should be good, I guess. But Local and State Laws may vary.
        Manual EVERYTHING...

Comment

Federal law (FMVSS 108) prohibits swaps like the one you mentioned. Local and state laws don't apply. Also, there's no such thing as DOT or SAE compliance insofar as vehicle lighting is concerned.

I'm not trying to start a war here. I'm simply pointing out facts. Nothing I say is really going to prevent people from swapping out their headlamps, if they so choose. I do applaud your finagling abilities, as I know that wiring can be a fickle mistress in most cases.

Comment

No wars nor offense taken, I see your point and appreciate the correction. It's actually something important to post because I mistakenly thought I was legally okay and in the clear. And now reconsidering HIDs after looking it up.
            Manual EVERYTHING...

Comment

You're most welcome. The vast majority of people don't reailse that their lighting 'upgrades' aren't legally compliant, and even if their retrofit doesn't 'blind oncoming traffic' it's still not performing as well as a proper factory system. That includes HID/LED retrofits; both of those are a no-go. If you have a BG, your best bet is to replace the headlamp assemblies with authentic Mazda units (note that you can use European assemblies, which more often have glass lenses which don't fade in the sun, so long as they're set up for right-hand traffic) and then get these bulbs: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9004-X...me+Vision+9004. You may also want to upgrade the wiring and install relays; info on how to do so can be found here: http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html. Also, check out this site if you have any other lighting questions: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ycles-Included. I'm also happy to field any questions as well.

Also, I'm sorry to totally jack your thread; this stuff is weirdly important to me, and I just wanted to pass along some hopefully helpful info.

Comment

I have a 94 BH, BHA Or whatever, and the warrant of fitness guy wanted to fail my headlights due to uv damage, but honestly, I think it's only in comparison to the clear corner lights(in that they look so good because of the reflector being so close to the lense)

Has anyone wired a hid system under the dash?
                Maybe I would do it if I could get away with it.
                I bet lots of people do it here in NZ also.

Comment

Coming back on topic, after reading the original tutorial, what model car is this for? Can you show me pictures of it and the gap during the day?
                  Thanks.

Comment

This is for mirage headlights into a bg chassis. 94 protege with slant lights. The BMW SQUARE lights should work for 90-93.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Pox; 03-06-2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Any BG Pros and 323s, really. Mine's a 91. For gap pictures (because I'm having issues with mine), I'd refer to this from the OP. See around steps 11 and 12 and then the last 2 images. Mine is going thru an issue where I kinda botched my original passenger side of my car and as a result had to get a replacement corner from the j/y, which doesn't necessarily snap in well. Driver's side is fine, but if you still want pictures of mine, I can post em later in the afternoon.

Originally posted by Pox View Post
                      ...The BMW SQUARE lights should work for 90-93.
                      Still waiting for someone to post pictures/tutorial of that.
                      Last edited by Phyre_Z; 03-07-2016, 02:29 AM.
                      Manual EVERYTHING...

Comment

Originally posted by Phyre_Z View Post
                        Any BG Pros and 323s, really. Mine's a 91. For gap pictures (because I'm having issues with mine), I'd refer to this from the OP. See around steps 11 and 12 and then the last 2 images. Mine is going thru an issue where I kinda botched my original passenger side of my car and as a result had to get a replacement corner from the j/y, which doesn't necessarily snap in well. Driver's side is fine, but if you still want pictures of mine, I can post em later in the afternoon.

Yeah go on let's see [emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by Phyre_Z View Post

Posted in 2004.

edit: lol 2004 cp was hilarious. Take that thread with a grain of salt.
                          Last edited by Pox; 03-07-2016, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the long delay between posts, been a busy week. This is my first time using stuff like a drill, the dremel tool, or doing any custom work, so I'm not even sure they're even, but nonetheless, they work and are mounted solidly, so I'm okay with it.
                            Manual EVERYTHING...

Comment

Are there any big gaps where the hood and headlights meet? Do the headlights stick out or sink in at all?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X