Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

89 323 GTX update and restoration project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 323 GTX update and restoration project.

Sort of new to frequenting the club protégé forums but figured I use it to sort of document my project. I will be adding stuff as I go. I’ve owned 4 different GTX’s over the years and I’ve worked on a lot of them. I parked this GTX a 3 years ago after it developed piston issues and started smoking a lot and I was in the process of spending all my time and money on my Miata project. Its kind of fuzzy after spending 3 years parked outside in the northwest. Straight chassis some rust but not terrible just needs addressed.

Project Plans: besides finishing it up with full chassis strip and restoration.

1991 BG 323GTR engine and transmission swap with Hydra ECU.

Knuckles hubs ets from AWD Protégé

Suspension upgrades

Brake upgrades

Intercooler and radiator upgrades

Lots of Custom stuff made and lots of money likely spent.

Hopefully it will be a fun car again.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bbundy; 03-27-2016, 10:46 PM.

collecting parts teazer radiator and intercooler. This is what I chose.
    staying side by side swapping sides Radiator is a 20X16.5X3" DIY Northern Radiator kit. Ill be welding on inlet outlet and filler neck coming up with mounting. Intercooler is a Treadstone DIY 12X9X3.5 core + end tanks. Again I'll be welding it all together.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looking great...subscribed.

Comment

Subbing for updates as your's looks like mine did... maybe turned up to 11 on the fuzzy level.

I had good luck with the pressure washer, and the using Meguiars #7 to restore the paint on my white GTX that was in a similar state. It was left outside for 3+ years, hell I had to cut the wheels free as some vines had wrapped their selves around the car :D.

Comment

Welcome Bob...been a while
          Clay

Comment

Hey Bob ... Great to see you getting up and going on the project.

Comment

two projects at once. CSP miata going on as well.
              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!!!
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Wonder if anybody who has done the BG drivetrain swap into a BF GTX and used a BG engine cradle? I really like that it is shaped for clearance for adding a nice crossmember to tie the front control arms together on the chassis without hanging down way lower than everything else on the car.

Im considering making it work. looks like if I move the right rear mount hole on the BG cradle forward 1/2" the rear drivre shaft flange will end up exactly the same spot as the standard BF location relative to the chassis. The front ones line up on the front station wise but one or both of the holes will have to move laterally. means re-welding the nuts inside the tube. I've actually repaired those things on other cars before so I know I can do that. left side aft hole on the cradle will have to be totally moved like an inch back and up. I have a hacksaw, a drill, and a tig welder.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by bbundy; 03-29-2016, 02:43 AM.

Comment

BF GTX vs. BG GTX vs. 88 RX7 ball joint.

Thinking using the 88 RX7 ball joint will achieve several things.

1) camber I like fairly aggressive camber I've had Cusco camber plates on several cars and always had them maxed out negative with the iops all the way inboard and still wanted more. moving the bottom out will get me some more and maybe get my get my camber plate setting off max.

2) Axle fit. BF GTX have a stock front track of 55.1" BG GTX's have a stock front track width of 56.3" add camber plates with maxed out front camber and the BF front axles tend to be too long bottoming out and binding up the CV joints. Moving the knuckles out should fix this.

issues.
                    1) The holes too the lower arm are about 4mm wider spacing on the BG and RX7 ball joints. I plan on slotting a hole ether in the arm or the ball joint

2) the stud diameter on the BF and early BG GTX is 16mm. The one on the RX7 one is 18mm I bought an 18mm drill bit and test drilled out a scrap 2wd knuckle I had and I think it will work. Hard to do nicely with a hand drill however I need to get a machine shop with the proper equipment to drill out the knuckles to accept the 18mm shank on the ball studs.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by bbundy; 03-30-2016, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Looks like fun, Bob.

Comment

Hey Bob,

Please update us on your progress!

Thanks,

Bill
                        Bill Wilner
                        1988 AWD GTX
                        1994 FD
                        1995 Miata
                        Owner Dude
                        MiataRoadster

Comment

Bill, been working on the red Miata mostly. I got some more parts machined for the GTX but haven't worked on it much. Knuckles are machined to work with the longer RX7 ball joints and brackets are machined to run 11.75" rotor wilwood brakes. I bought a transmission adapter and am thinking about switching to a Toyota Alltrac st205 transmission and diff. You may know my history of blowing apart Miata transmissions, I'm thinking this might be a good way to go.
                          Last edited by bbundy; 11-25-2016, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X