Why do Mazdas depreciate so much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do Mazdas depreciate so much?

I'm on the market for buying a new car, and I've noticied that Mazdas seem to depreciate a hecuva lot, considering their perceived quality and genuine japanese build. For example, I saw a 3rd gen w/ minimal mileage go for just 2500 on this very forum. Why is that?

I'm having a hard time deciding which car to buy, lol. My family already has a 3rd gen and I love it to death.. so its either another 3rd gen, or a 240sx w/ like 3x the age and mileage for the same price.

PS. What would you guys suggest for a fun car on a budget. I'm lookin' at maybe 2-3k for budget.
    Last edited by Xtracrispy; 03-25-2004, 07:38 AM.

Originally posted by Xtracrispy
    I'm on the market for buying a new car, and I've noticied that Mazdas seem to depreciate a hecuva lot, considering their perceived quality and genuine japanese build. For example, I saw a 3rd gen w/ minimal mileage go for just 2500 on this very forum. Why is that?

I'm having a hard time deciding which car to buy, lol. My family already has a 3rd gen and I love it to death.. so its either another 3rd gen, or a 240sx w/ like 3x the age and mileage for the same price.

PS. What would you guys suggest for a fun car on a budget. I'm lookin' at maybe 2-3k for budget.
    Where the hell did you find a low-mileage 3rd gen for $2500????
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

Comment

In this forums' for sale section..

I'd call 57K low mileage all things considered

Comment

if the car was 2500... it was seriously damaged..
        mazdas depreciate at the same speed/value as all other middle-class import cars.
        you could get a 2nd gen pro for that.. or a mid-late 90s civic (don't know my civic gens)... accords are pretty nice.. but we had a million issues with my bro's 93... so avoid that year.

just stay away from cars owned by kids, modded cars and cars that have been in accidents.. if you live in the north (where salt/rust is an issue), go south to buy a car... odds are that a car from texas/new mexico has no rust on it, as there's not many corossive(sp?) materials on the road.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
        RB springs
        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
        MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

id say get the 240 thats one of my favorite cars they are awsome to drive too and wut beats a rwd car
          i is dumb

Comment

Originally posted by skr33t_rac3r
            id say get the 240 thats one of my favorite cars they are awsome to drive too and wut beats a rwd car
            A newer, more reliable FWD w/ less miles on the clock

I was thinking maybe a FC chasis RX-7 as well, to keep it mazda.. but dem engines need rebuilds every 100k

Comment

Originally posted by Xtracrispy
              A newer, more reliable FWD w/ less miles on the clock

I was thinking maybe a FC chasis RX-7 as well, to keep it mazda.. but dem engines need rebuilds every 100k
              No, they don't. A well maintaned rotor engine doesn't need to be rebuild at a specific mileage.
              -------------------------
              '91 LX
              '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
              -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
              well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

if the d00d lives in an area with snow.. a RWD car is the devil.
                especially with the winters that the north end has been having the past few years with tons of ice.. you'd constantly fishtail and spin outta control.. unless you drove like a pain in the ass grandma all winter

RB springs
                Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Basically any car depreciates fast because Americans tend to buy more trucks and SUVs, but I do notice that other imports like Honda, Acura, and Toyotas hold their value better than Mazda.
                  2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                  KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                  Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                  Groundkit

Comment

^^Also, whether you buy a truck, car, van, SUV, it is a bad investment. It's an expensive hobby to fix them up as they don't go up in value unless you find someone who is specifically looking for one.
                    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                    Groundkit

Comment

Heh I live in Toronto.. so yeah there will be icy winters up here. But the thing is, as long as you don't drive too crazy, rwd shouldn't be a huge problem. Or would it... one way to find out

Way I see it, cars usd to be RWD all the time.. and same with trucks, and you don't see anyone complaining about the classics or trucks in the winters. People prolly say rwd's the devil just cuz they're mostly on sports cars nowadays and they're stompin' on the juice in 40 below

Besides.. rwd's more fun in the 3 other seasons

Comment

rear wheel drives are more fun when there isnt snow or ice, but they arent fun in the winters. a question for xtracrispy, how many classic cars do u see driving around in the winter, and when u see cars in the ditch in the winters its almsot always a rwd or a stupid teenage girl. true other people go into ditches.
                        If i were the one buying the car i would go for fwd or awd, starting on ice with wd is near impossible. just my opinion

Comment

xtra... trust me.. RWD is not fun..
                          my buddy only had to drive his 240sx once in the snow to almost get killed... he said it's 100x different than the drift races cuz there's nothing to grip to when you need it.

yeah... lots of people buy a nice rwd car for the summer and drive a ****box the rest of the year... you could always get a prelude and a civic.. civics are like $750 and preludes are about 3k... if you want one.. i have a friend that's selling his in ottawa

TO has bad snow and ice in the winter... you'll curse yourself all winter long, but in the summer, you'll have fun.. it's a win/lose situation

RB springs
                          Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

I got my 2000lx low miles and no damage for 2700, but i traded my 929 for it too! I have no carpayment!
                            "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

All cars are depreciating horribly lately. 0% financiing has done this. My contour that I paid 10k for in 1999 was worth only 2000k in 2002. Cars lose a lot when you take them off the lot. There are a few exceptions, ie M3, limited edition exotics, etc. Buying a car should not be considered an investment unless you are specifically collecting and then you really need to know your stuff.
                              2003 Protege5
                              Midnight Blue MTX
                              2002 Protege LX
                              Black Mica MTX

Comment

Working...
                              X