Fabrication question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabrication question?

Hey guys, question for any and all. I want to create a shield for my AEM SRI on my 99 ES. I just read in the latest issue of Sport Compact Car about a guy with a black Miata, (the article is called Dark diggler, a boosted Miata) hes done some great work on it but the thing I read about and saw was that he shielded his intake from the engine heat and to keep it from drawing cool air from the engine with an aluminum piece that he created. Has anyone else done this ontheir cars or seen it done? Any info you have would be great because I like my intake and dont want to change it, and after I get my header installed I dont want to draw hot air into the intake from increased heat due to the header. Thanks Nik

99 ES 5 spd
    2.25 custom SS catback
    AWR header (to be installed)
    AEM SRI
    8.5 mm Magnecor wires Denso Iridium plugs
    B&M short shifter
    Eibach Pro kit springs
    KYB struts
    Power Stop slotted rotors
    EBC greenstuff pads
    Dunlop SP5000 205 50 Z asymetrical tread
    Optima red top
    Catz zeta with 8500k bulbs
    Clear corners and side markers

The believe the guy with the white Sport20 added a guard. I haven't seen him around in a while though.

It should be pretty simple, you could mount it to practically anything (well almost anything, just don't be stupid).

The way I would do it: Just get a fairly thin piece of sheet aluminum, find the place inside the engine compartment where you want to mount it, cut the aluminum to size and find a cheap mounting bracket from Home Depot that you can install under some screw. You may need an angled bracket, but just go searching thru all the bins. If you can't find one that works, it should be fairly easy to heat one up and bend it the way you want it (blow torch style, if you have the resources/skill).

If you want to make it pretty, and possibly more functional, you can curve it so that it semi-wraps the intake. Aluminum bends real easily.
    '99 Protege ES

Mostly stock.

Comment

I've got one on my other car. The shield was used to prevent the intake tract from heating up. To keep the HOT air coming off the engine from going into the intake, you're better off building a box to house the filter, or relocating the filter outside the engine bay.

You don't really need brackets to mount the shield, you can cut tabs at the edges of the sheild and use the tabs to mount.

Comment

Working...
      X