Steering Rack 99 vs 00 models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Rack 99 vs 00 models

Is there any difference between the 1999 and 2000 steering rack? I just drove a friend's 2000 DX and it was so much better than mine. It actually had some feedback to it, and in the middle of a turn had some resistance.

Oh the other hand, my 99 steering feels vague in comparison.

Were there any changes for the 2000 model year. I didn't think so until now.

What I'm really wanting to do is switch out my steering rack for the Euro-spec rack in the MP3. Is this a direct swap or do any pumps or crap need to be changed?
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

I thought the euro-spec rack had better feedback, and that was why they decided to use it on the MP3. If it's slower than never mind.

I will hunt down a 2000 rack instead.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I'm confused here. Someone on the MP3/P5 Forum is selling an MP3 steering rack and claims it is faster than the sedan/P5 rack. If the MP3 rack is actually slower, why would it have been used on the MP3 since it was intended to be a sportier version of the sedan? Is the MP3 rack actually the same one as the E-spec rack? Can someone please clear this up for me as I was toying with the idea of replacing my OEM rack with the MP3 one thinking I would get quicker steering response.
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I thought that the MP3 had the same rack, but the MSP had the E-Spec rack which was supposedly faster/beefier? As far as better steering feel, too many variables there. Tires, tire PSI, wheel offset, toe-in/out, camber/caster. Coulda been lots of things maybe.
        2002.5 DX Sedan, Garnet Red Mica, PIAA Headlights, Racing Beat MP3 springs, Tokico HP struts, Injen CAI, MSP axle-back exhaust, MSP S.T. brace, Mod-o-fied AWR 19MM rear bar, AWR end-links F/R, 16x7 alloys w/Paradas(street), 15x6 Miata OEM alloys w/Falken Azenis(Solo II STS), personalized plates "VTC FREE"
        I remember the days of racing when the the Drivers were Fat and the Tires were Skinny.

Comment

Both the MP3 and MSP use the euro-spec steering box.
          "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
          2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Originally posted by StuttersC
            Both the MP3 and MSP use the euro-spec steering box.
            TheMAN states that the E-spec steering rack has a slower response than the stock rack.

So my question still remains, why would the MP3 (and the MSD) use a steering rack with a slower response than the sedan and the P5?

02 DX Millenium Red
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
              TheMAN states that the E-spec steering rack has a slower response than the stock rack.

So my question still remains, why would the MP3 (and the MSD) use a steering rack with a slower response than the sedan and the P5?

02 DX Millenium Red

The ratio is less giving a quicker steering response. Or at least that is my understanding.

There is a difference, I drove a Protege 5 and my MP3 back to back, and the steering response was sharper and quicker in the MP3.
              "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Originally posted by StuttersC
                The ratio is less giving a quicker steering response. Or at least that is my understanding.

There is a difference, I drove a Protege 5 and my MP3 back to back, and the steering response was sharper and quicker in the MP3.
                Obviously, as you state from your experience, the MP3 steering rack does give a quicker response. Thanks for answering my question and clearing up my confusion here.

02 Dx Millenium Red

Comment

Why did every magazine talking about the MP3 state the exact opposite of what you just typed?

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

MP3 steering…
                    Overall Steering Ratio 15.4:1
                    Turns Lock-to-Lock 2.7

Protegé 5 steering…
                    Overall Steering Ratio 15.0:1
                    Turns Lock-to-Lock 2.7

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                      who cares about what the specs say in the press releases

as what math dictates, the relationship of one steering wheel turn to how far the actually wheels turns... the higher the ratio, the more turn is required and thus MORE steering input is required to achieve the same a lower ratio would

a better explaination is found here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering2.htm

there's not a way to argue over this particular mathematical rule

furthermore, justme who rallies his 323F reports of steering lag on his counter steer whereas eric burmeister who rallies his converted 01 ES professionally reports of that particular lag problem to be completely non-existant

The specs i stated are from Mazda's website, not the press...

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Do you really understand what the ratios mean?

When I switched from my Protege5 to my MP3, the main thing I noticed was that the steering felt "lighter" not faster. Any increase in turn-in response I attributed to the suspension and tires, not the steering.

Of course once you see the ratios it's easy to see why it feels that way.

Comment

I have to agree with TheMAN on this one. I read somewhere that the MP3 had the E-spec rack. When the Mazdaspeed Protege came out, they elected not to use the E-spec this time around. However, I always thought that the E-spec rack was quicker, not slower as Edwin corrected for us.

Anyway, regarding my original question: Eventually I will want to find a 2000 steering rack. The only part I would need is the rack itself, right? Or should I get new pump also. I wouldn't think so since they should be the same.
                          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                            and where did those specs come from?
                            You tell me? If Mazda doesn't put the info on their own website, who does?

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

And manufacturers never screw up ratings? Nissan mis-listed the 1990 240SX as having 8.6:1 compression in official brochures, even though it had 9:1 compression, just like the early 1989 models (the last 8-10 months or so of 89 production had 8.6:1 because no knock sensor on 89 models and people kept complaining of ping when running 87 octane, the fools - in 90 they added a knock sensor and bumped the CR back up, but for the remainder of 89 they just dropped compression to 8.6:1)

Comment

Working...
                              X