Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just picked up one of the few remaining new 2003 Mazda Protege's. It's a loaded ES with the manual transmission. My previous car was a 2000 Ford Contour, and I don't want to say everything anyone has ever said about Ford is true but probably pretty close. I loved having the manual transmission with the V6, but the little "Ford" problems started to get to me. The last problem was the dash was started to warp and Ford wanted quite a bit of money to fix the problem. The best part was that they acknowledged it was their fault it was happening, but said they no longer had a program to cover the cost of fixing it. Now I realize all models have their little kinks, but it really seems as though I've taken a step up in quality to the Protege. As I start to put the miles on my ES are there any common problems I should keep my eyes open for?

The only problem I have had with my car as it gets more miles, is the fact I keep investing all my money into it. I just love the thing way too much. And I take every opportunity to make it better. The Protege is about as reliable as you can get. Good choice. And welcome aboard to the community.

Comment

welcome. i love my pro too. my 02.5 has almost 27000 in about 1 1/2 years and i still love to drive it. so fun. the wife almost has to beg to drive it=). anyways, this is a great site to learn just about anything mazda. see ya around.
      2002.5 protege dx

Comment

I'm new to the community too, and these guys have been a great help so far. Anything you want to know is already. If it isn't already here someone knows the answer. I have a 99LX with over 100000 miles on it. Regular oil changes and proper maintenance and it still runs like a top. Enjoy
        That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you stick your head in stinky cheese and eat grasshoppers.

99 LX

Comment

Welcome to the club. I bought my 03 ES in Nov. & already have nearly 10k on it. It's the most fun to drive car I have ever owned. I'm lucky too, bcuz my wife refuses to learn to drive a M/T, so I don't ever have to share it!
          '03 Sunlight Silver ES/5sp
          THUNDER 4-1 RACING HEADER
          Racing Beat Exhaust, SPD Racing SRI
          Eibach Pro-kit, MP3 ECU, MP3 Foot Pedals
          Powdercoated stockers wrapped in Yoko AVS ES100s
          Kartboy SS/Knob/Bushings

Comment

81,000 miles on my 99 DX. never had a problem besides normal tune-ups. don't think i've ever heard anything bad about the Protege's cept they lack a bit of a horsepower... well the dx model anyways. Event the ford/chevy muscle car guys admit the Portege is a great car. When i go to replace my car, it's going to be another 99-00 protege or a P5... maybe a BMW M3
            sigpic
            1987 Rx7 TurboII (Stripped and Crush R.I.P )
            1987 Rx7 Sport (Street port Rebuild almost done.)
            2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe w/ sports package

Comment

Ya I'm also new to the board, the site has helped a lot. Still got a lot of reading to do lol. I bought it friday picked it up this morning. I'm hoping it's as reliable as everyone else says they are So far I absolutely love everything bout this car! iz an 03LX btw. Caz thas what I need. My last car was a 98 Kia Sephia, it was nice, not bad at all surprisingly even tho you hear a lot of bad stuff bout kia mine was great til i hit ice
              2003 Mazda Protege LX
              Laser Blue
              www.cardomain.com/id/thejackyl
              Old Car
              1998 Kia Sephia LS
              Custom Front Bumper, motegi gunmetal mr7s wrapped in Nitto 450 Xtremes, OBX exhaust, Custom CAI, CUstom interior

Comment

yea the protege is a real reilable car i have 80,000 or so clicks on mine mow and it runs like a new car like proto2k says i still sink money in to mods to make it even more enjoyable cuz i can

Comment

Welcome to the club man! Lotta good peeps up in here! Good info too!
                  "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

WELCOME TO THE CLUB! have fun with the pro.
                    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                    225.94wtq
                    torque monster!!!!
                    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Welcome to the club. Yes every car has it's little kinks but the Pro line are awesome cars. Enjoy!
                      2002 Blackmica P5
                      CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

thanx guys
                        2003 Mazda Protege LX
                        Laser Blue
                        www.cardomain.com/id/thejackyl
                        Old Car
                        1998 Kia Sephia LS
                        Custom Front Bumper, motegi gunmetal mr7s wrapped in Nitto 450 Xtremes, OBX exhaust, Custom CAI, CUstom interior

Comment

Welocme to the club.Glad to see another person from western PA here.I liked mine so much I bought 2.I got a 2001 ES first and drove that for a while and then my wife got to it and it was an automatic so she kept that and I got her van(SUCKS)!She went away for a weekend and I went and got my 02.5 ES that's a stick and now we are happy.The only problem I found is we both have about the same miles on our cars(under14,000) and we both notice the front end shakes a little when you get over 60 mph and that's on both car's.But living in PA ther are humongus potholes you can't miss so we are getting both cars alinged and will see what happens.Othe than that the Protege is a great car!Enjoy yours!
                          2002.5 Sunlight silver ES.TWM short shifter,Sparco knob,Kartboy shifter bushings,modified airbox,K&N filter,Altezza tails,Toyo Proxes 4 tires and plenty more to come.Newest addition is a 2000 Ducati 750 SS with carbon fiber exhaust

Comment

Your brakes? You mean your steering? If that's the case, it's likely an alignment issue.
                            2002 Blackmica P5
                            CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

No problems with my 2001 ES. Most complaints though are the dimming of the headlights (if you have a moderate system) because of the 70 amp alternator and the AC could be colder. I live in the south so it gets HOT!
                              2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                              KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                              Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                              Groundkit

Comment

Working...
                              X