Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX BPT Power Confusion

So I read this over on Mazda323Performance.com:
    "With a decent intake, exhaust and intercooler on the stock turbo and ECU, the BPT makes ~225 BHP at 12 - 14 psi, any more boost and power than this will start to shorten the life of the turbo. That's around 200 - 220 whp in US speak."

But people here are saying that you can't run 12psi on the stock GTX ECU w/o tuning via atleast the Apexi SAFC and MSD unit.

Please bare with me!

A lot of the U.S. has maximum 91 octane. Overseas has slightly higher. You could probably turn it up with the stock ECU anyway... it's just not going to work as well as if it's tuned nicely.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

That is correct, on normal 91-93 octane the stock ECU will cause detonation and fuel cut without the aid of piggy backs or gadgets. That turbo is efficient at 200-210whp but above that it will be worthless. The most I ever extracted from that turbo was 235whp and 265lb-ft, and that was at the brink of destruction.

Anyone that wants a GTX turbo to last should run it below 12psi. 10psi is very efficient.
      -Braden
      '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

Comment

cooool thanks for clearing that up. now i just need a donor car.

Comment

Sorry to hijack....where in b-more u form man, i live in towson. Im doin a turbo setup also, lemmie know man.
          BP-05 Turbo-Sold
          2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

At 15psi, you whould be seeing 200-210whp. The ecu can only read a maximum of 14.7 psi, after that a "piggy back" system would be efficient. But, the vj20 doesnt make any power above 15psi anyways. I have an intercooler, cone filter and 3" exhaust turbo back. With that my boost hits 11 naturally, I run 15psi at the track but as the rpms rise the psi goes down until it settles at 10psi. Dont be scared to run 15psi, just really no point to keep it that way all the time.
            James G.
            sobe83@yahoo.com
            AIM: DVS 323BPT
            MySpace
            Cardomain
            <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

hmm.. still getting conflicting answers guys. it sounds like 12psi is really the max that the turbo can flow consistanly, anything higher and it runs out of breath at higher rpm's.

you've gotta a pm elscotto80 & limpgtx

Comment

http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3419 READ. Dyno proven at 15psi, go get your dyno at 12 psi and we'll compare. Some useful info on the thread as well.
                James G.
                sobe83@yahoo.com
                AIM: DVS 323BPT
                MySpace
                Cardomain
                <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

awesome, i dunno how i missed that.... i've been going thru the archives like a champ lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X