Overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overdrive

does overdrive make a difference on a 2nd gen???
    Mine has been disconnected for about a year now and
    i just now wired it back up to a toggle. I wont know
    if it changes anything until tommorrow because its getting
    a power steering belt put on it as we speak.
    People told me it would. I have an automatic and can chirp
    2nd gear with out getting on it all the way. I just wanted to
    know if its gonna make it even better.
    Mike A.

You haven't been driving much lately on the highway, have you? From what I understand, your O/D has been disconnected, or turned off for year? If it was turned off, then your car would not be able to go past 60-65 mph, and then your engine would be in really high rpm, and a chance of blowing something is a good one. But if your O/D just been disconnected for a year, then you didn't miss much. I only use it when I go up or down a hill, but thats not that often.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
      You haven't been driving much lately on the highway, have you? From what I understand, your O/D has been disconnected, or turned off for year? If it was turned off, then your car would not be able to go past 60-65 mph, and then your engine would be in really high rpm, and a chance of blowing something is a good one. But if your O/D just been disconnected for a year, then you didn't miss much. I only use it when I go up or down a hill, but thats not that often.

hmmm.... well the wires have been unhooked and when i just hooked them
      back up to the toggle, the "overdrive off" light appeared. and when i
      turn off the car and turn it back on the light disapears. i have to push the button
      for it to come on. is this correct?? but enyways ive done 100 easily on the
      highway.
      Mike A.

Comment

Yeah, you are ok. You just had it disconnected, but not turned off. And yes, when the light comes on, it means O/D is off.

Comment

so if i want to accelerate faster is it better to have it on or off?

Comment

Overdrive is just the 4th gear.

Comment

Originally posted by pro_fo_sho
              so if i want to accelerate faster is it better to have it on or off?
              No, you will see no difference what so ever. It will only make your shifts longer if you turn it off. You may find it helpful when braking. Sometimes, doing 25-30 mph, when you turn it off, it will act as though you are downshifting, or engine braking. Kinda makes you think you have a manual tranny there for a second.

Comment

Working...
              X