Pictures of my engine (56k friendly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures of my engine (56k friendly)

Just finished the clutch job on my 1992 Protege DX.
    I spent about 15 minutes cleaning up the engine, so I took a few pictures.

PS - i'll afford a real hoist some day
    Attached Files
    I like rotaries. Email me if you want.

leave it out and geta BP!!!!

j/k looks spiffy...

Comment

well, how hard was it to remove? i need help for future install. looks savy.
      i hate being broke!

Comment

no fwd engine is hard to pull. (open for discussion) as long as you have the proper tools and a good memory or good documenting skills, all you have to do is get to wrenching...R & R of car parts is not rocket science.
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

yeah its not hard at all to do...

What did you use to clean the engine w/..it took me a while to clean mine, and it still was pretty dirty...

Comment

why don't you just drop a BP in there,. I mean shoot you already have the motor out.
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I'm with bruce, it is no harder to drop in a BP than it iwll be to reinstall that engine.
              When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
              Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
              Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
              So his engine he goosed
              With much too much boost,
              And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

i dont think yall heard the guy, hes doing in in a parking garage, i dont think he has time to wait for a bp.

edit*****i didnt notice he posted that part in another thread...oops
                According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

You got that right fug A vtec.
                  Also I just want it as a reiable economy car.... I'm not bothing putting performance modifications into a platform that doesn't really have much potential (serious potential).
                  This is an economy car, not a sports car. (here comes the flames hahaha)

Comment

interesting, in a parking garage???? how did you pull that off?? or why for that matter.
                    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                    225.94wtq
                    torque monster!!!!
                    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

The height of the parking garage ceiling was proabably about 8 feet.
                      I built the wooden hoist frame (see picture above) with some lumber I scavenged from a nearby construction site
                      I then attatched a 2-ton cable puller (aka come-a-long) to hoist and lower the engine with. Not the fastest method, but strong enough and it works. With the relatively low ceiling, and space taken up by the hoist crossmember and minimum length of the cable puller, it was able to lift the engine JUST high enough to clear the front of the car by about 2 inches! The top of the crossmember on the hoist was only about 1/2" from the celing - just enough to slip the chain around. I had to use a 12lb sledge to cram the hoist in position because when I built it, I forgot to take into account the extra space needed when tilting it up on an angle before it gets to 90 deg.

I had to do it there because I don't have a garage myself. Even though weather is nice, being in Banff I didn't want to risk a sudden blizzard if it was in my driveway. The parking garage is at the hotel I work for.

To clean the engine I used an aerosol can of spray on engine cleaner. I can't remember the name, but I bought it from Home Hardware for $6 cdn. Sprayed on and hosed off once, then sprayed on and scrubbed some of the dirtier areas with some old toothbrushes, and then did one more spray-on / hose-off.
                      I also used a wire wheel on a cordless drill to clean up the exhaust manifold heat shield and the oil pan.

Ps - If anyone wants to donate a real engine hoist, or a garage, email me for shipping details.

Comment

talk about a poor man's means of getting **** done, i commend you tell me, were you on or off the clock when you did this manuver? lol, seriously, how long of an ordeal was this clutch job? at any rate.. good work.
                        peace

Comment

Yeah, I sure as hell made do! haha.
                          Took me about 2hrs from the very begining to get the engine out.
                          15 minutes cleaning.
                          1/2 hr to install clutch/flywheel properly and inspect components.
                          1.5 hrs to put engine back in, with everything hooked up.

Overall it took about a week though - I had to work around my schedule at work, as well as hitch hike 100 miles to get the flywheel machined, and time going to-from hardware store for supplies, etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X