Weird Electrical Problems...Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Electrical Problems...Help!

For the past week, i've been having some weird problems with my car. I think they're related to my wiring, but I'm not sure since i havent changed anything in a while...one day i just got in my car and strange stuff started happening:

* When i get in, the dashboard clock resets to 1:00..every time i open a door.
    * The clock also cuts off when i switch the cabin lights to on---the lights don't come on anymore though
    * Even if all the doors are closed, the open door light comes on when i turn on the cabin lights.
    * Neither my stereo nor my amplifier is getting any power--I unplugged my stereo from the car, and when i plug it in now, the clock sorta fades in and out.
    * I got a test light, and it just barely comes on when i touch it to the 12V memory wire for the stereo, which is the only clue i have as to what the problem may be.

I talked to one of my friends about it, and he said it was probably a bad ground, which makes sense. The question is, how do i go about finding it and fixing it?
    I checked the battery leads, and they're all fine, and i don't think it's a fuse, all the ones i checked are fine. Any ideas

Definately sounds like a bad ground somewhere. I would start with the doors first. Because the clock resets everytime you open your door. A clock would only reset itself if the negative terminal on the battery is unconnected. Maybe a wire gets jammed or something. Or it could be as small as a nick in a wire. Its a major pain in the ass, but unfortunately, you have to check everything.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
      Definately sounds like a bad ground somewhere. I would start with the doors first. Because the clock resets everytime you open your door. A clock would only reset itself if the negative terminal on the battery is unconnected. Maybe a wire gets jammed or something. Or it could be as small as a nick in a wire. Its a major pain in the ass, but unfortunately, you have to check everything.
      If it helps any, the check engine light keeps coming on and off when i do SOMETHING, i just don't know what yet. I also have the Haynes repair manual, but i can barely understand the wiring diagrams, so i dunno what to look for.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac1914
        If it helps any, the check engine light keeps coming on and off when i do SOMETHING, i just don't know what yet. I also have the Haynes repair manual, but i can barely understand the wiring diagrams, so i dunno what to look for.
        Keep looking for that ground. Check engine light may come on for thousands of reasons. But if you want to know what it is, bring it to your local AutoZone. They do free CEL checks, but it will only work if CEL is ON.
        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Working...
        X