ES to LX gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ES to LX gauges

Hey guys...I just had a new instrument cluster sent up to me. It has the tach, which I didn't have before. I was wondering if the swap will require any new wiring, as I am completely inept at anything that requires elctricity(I'm not that hot with anything else, either. lol). I was hoping that it would be a straight swap. Anybody with a little experience here, want to help me out?

from what i understand you have to run wires for the tack...you might want to talk to proto2k, i think he has the same cluster and is planning to do the same thing.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I assume you got a 95-98, and you are swapping from another 95-98, right? You should not have to do any wiring. Its plug and play, if it is from the same generation. Your mileage, however, will not stay the same, and display what ever mileage was on the swapping cluster. Uhm, davens, have done it before. Try to ask him.

P.S. You double posted the same topic. So go in the othe one, and delete. Click on the EDIT button.
      "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

oops
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

i already did this.. what you do is remove the speedometer/odometer from the old one and put it in the new one so you can have your old milage
          In the Garage
          Black 93 MX-3 GS
          Bp powered
          GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
          MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

just install it ,
            that's it.
            bruce
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

you're going from ES to LX?!
              you mean SE to LX, right?

You'll change the mileage if you move the whole cluster... if they are roughly the same.. don't worry, it'll probably never slap you in the fact.. if it's way over.. the value of your car goes way down.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
              RB springs
              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
              MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

no, he can open it up and swap the mph clusters..
                They unscrew from the back.
                It's really simple.
                I have a how to on my site, but I have been really really busy and haven't worked on my site lately

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Yeah, I have a 98 and the cluster is from a 97. Since I'm in Canada and the cluster is from the states and in miles, the speedo/odometer swap is much appreciated info. Thanx.

p.s. the double post is gone..sorry about that
                  Last edited by brad98; 03-31-2004, 07:46 PM.

Comment

What you can do in this case, is to get glow gauges from ProCarParts.com. They make them in km/h. But you are going to be careful installing it, as many people broke needles before, needles you cannot replace.
                    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Here is the how to...

I had to do some work on the car, but I figured I would put this site up for you before I went outside.

later
                      bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

sweet..thanx, man

Comment

hey brad what year do u have if it has digital odometer then u can do it but u will not have ur original reading on it. if its numatic then u can. i have swapped mine from se to lx its easy. just WATCH THE NEEDLES.....duh....lol.

Comment

gauges are in and working fine. I couldn't swap my speedo or odometer because they are soldered in pretty solid....so I'm having fun getting used to driving at 30 mph when the speed limit is 50 km/h....thanx for all the help

Comment

This post was very useful. Just got an ES instrument cluster from junkyard for $25.

Just wondering if it's possible to swap the digital speedometer with the non-digital.

and also why did mazda not put a tach on all their clusters if it doesn't require major mods.
                              ED
                              '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
                              Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
                              WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Working...
                              X