hollow cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hollow cat

has anyone ever hollowed out the cat on a 3rd gen and just pul on a cel eliminator,i want to do this but i am wondering how much louder it will be,i also have a greddy catback. i am mainly just wondering what it will sound like.

prolly pretty loud, if its loud now, its gonna be twice as loud without the cat. and it might run funky with zero back pressure. might wanna think bout that.
    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
    225.94wtq
    torque monster!!!!
    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

dont do that it will run like ****.
      According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

well there you go, dont do it. lol
        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
        225.94wtq
        torque monster!!!!
        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
          well there you go, dont do it. lol
          well it will still have back pressure becouse i have a muffler and two resonators,i did this on my probe gt a while back,but i only had one resonator on it, it had a kl-ze and it would throw a mean flame. other than that it ran fine...i just dont understand, what is the differance between a hallow cat and putting a header on, either way the cat is not going to be there.

Comment

I just got the AWR header for my 99 ES it eliminates the pre cat but leaves the second cat alone, I also have a custom 2.25"SS catback, from what I know the header allows the the gasses to escape, ie flow better through the custom exhaust there by allowing the car more power, I think, somebody please correct me if Im wrong I know what Im trying to say just not quite sure how to say it. anyway the hollow cat is not a good idea with our cars, get a high flow cat if you want to do something

Comment

Does anyone know of a site that sells a high flow cat for our cars? I was considering just removing my cat and putting in a straight pipe, but im worried about the noise its gonna make too.
              Eric Johnson
              Intense Performance
              Mazda Club of South Florida
              http://www.ipmcsfl.com
              Former President/Webmaster
              Member since 11/03

2002.5 Dark Titanium/Black Mica Protege5
              - Exterior: Custom Dark Titanium/Black Mica paint scheme, 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege front bumper cover, Skunk2 coilovers, 5% tint all around, black painted headlight housings, black billet aluminum shorty antenna, Yakima roof rack
              - Interior: Xenarc 700TSV 7" LCD display with touchscreen, black painted A/B/C pillars and gauge bezel, Mazdaspeed door sills, and Delphi SkyPhi XM Radio
              - Performance: Brembo cross drilled/slotted rotors, Red Samco silicon cooling hoses, Black Injen CAI, Greddy Evo2 Cat-back exhaust system, Progess 22mm rear sway bar, Racing Beat front sway bar, OBX Racing 4-1 header, Medieval front motor mount
              - Car Computer specs: Removed for now...
              Current project: None...

Comment

Originally posted by Kr33peR
                Does anyone know of a site that sells a high flow cat for our cars? I was considering just removing my cat and putting in a straight pipe, but im worried about the noise its gonna make too.
                im not so much worried about how loud it is, i just dont want it to sound like ****. i can stande the noise i dont care about that, just dont want to drive around in a pissed off bumble bee. i have already romoved the after cat so if i get a header would that reduce performance or just be about the same only louder. i know a site where i can get a ss obx racing header for 175.00 bucks so i might just do that.

Comment

you will sound like a pissed off bumle bee.....i know catco makes some good high flow cats,

According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by mazdakindaguy03
                    has anyone ever hollowed out the cat on a 3rd gen and just pul on a cel eliminator,i want to do this but i am wondering how much louder it will be,i also have a greddy catback. i am mainly just wondering what it will sound like.
                    hollowing your cat will mostly like decrease performance. also, if you get rid of it with a test/straight pipe, it will sound like crap and might make "popping" noises.lol
                    best bet is a highflow cat like catco, best cat for the money.
                    Almost there

jdm tails... check
                    jdm bumper... check
                    ms lip... check
                    ms grill... check
                    ms sideskirts... check
                    ms rear skirts... check
                    ms spoiler... check
                    ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
                    Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

yup i would say go with a high flow cat too i posted a topic like this and the answer was high flow cat because u take out you factory cat u lose power cause it triggers some kinda safty mode

Comment

Just wanted to get some input on the hallow cat situation. How can you lose power? I dont know of any 1/4 mile drag cars using cats. just open headers. Anyways couldnt u run headers and striaght pipe and also fool the comp by tricking out the second O2 sensor. You could also try getting a Y adapter from summit and weld it on the straight pipe right after the headers . So when you are just cruising you just let the exhaust pass through to the muffler and when your ready to race just open the Y adapter end and you be running open header for the strip. Just a suggestion.

Comment

hehe thats cool trick...im not sure if u lose power or not without a cat that just what i was told lol sry man...

Comment

Working...
                          X