X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Brakes

How hard is it to change the front brakes on
    a 96 LX? My brakes just started squiling in the front so I parked
    it (because i didnt want to risk f*cking the rotors up) and went out and bought a pair. Now I need some help putting them on.
    Mike A.

Originally posted by bubbashane
    it (because i didnt want to risk f*cking the rotors up) and went out and bought a pair. Now I need some help putting them on.
    The squealers are what were making the noise. You could have gone a lil longer but its good that you change them now before you start hearing grinding.

Changing pads aren't hard at all, neither is changing the rotors for that matter. Just need to pop off the wheel and unbolt the bolts needed. Line up the new ones and make sure to put the sqealers back on so you know when yours start to go bad again.
    Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
    FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
    Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bubbashane
      Just because your brakes squeel, it does not mean you have to go out and buy new rotors. First of all, if you hear every time you brake, then its your pads, and you are not going to **** up your rotors because of that. Not unless you have been riding like this for years. And like Patrick said, what you are hearing either is either a squeeler, or a lose brake pad. A squeeler is designed to slightly touch the rotor to indicate that brakes need to be replaced. However, sometimes, brake pads will slightly move in their place, and when they touch the rotor again, it might make a squeel as well. So you got to figure out which is which. Any way. You probably do not even need new rotors, because your old ones might be just thick enough to be shaved, and then just slap the new pads in. If you have done brake work before, and have the right tools, then you should be OK. Otherwise, just take it to a shop, or have some that knows brakes to help you out.
      Also, what is your mileage, and what previous brake service have you done? On my car, almost 80K, I have changed the pads twice, and rotors once. First time I changed the original pads, I had to shave the rotors. Second time, I had to replace both, pads and rotors. So generally, depending on how you drive, a set of rotors should last you about two sets of pads. Goodluck.
      Last edited by turbonium959; 04-03-2004, 05:11 PM.
      "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
        Just because your brakes squeel, it does not mean you have to go out and buy new rotors. First of all, if you hear every time you brake, then its your pads, and you are not going to **** up your rotors because of that. Not unless you have been riding like this for years. And like Patrick said, what you are hearing either is either a squeeler, or a lose brake pad. A squeeler is designed to slightly touch the rotor to indicate that brakes need to be replaced. However, sometimes, brake pads will slightly move in their place, and when they touch the rotor again, it might make a squeel as well. So you got to figure out which is which. Any way. You probably do not even need new rotors, because your old ones might be just thick enough to be shaved, and then just slap the new pads in. If you have done brake work before, and have the right tools, then you should be OK. Otherwise, just take it to a shop, or have some that knows brakes to help you out.
        Also, what is your mileage, and what previous brake service have you done? On my car, almost 80K, I have changed the pads twice, and rotors once. First time I changed the original pads, I had to shave the rotors. Second time, I had to replace both, pads and rotors. So generally, depending on how you drive, a set of rotors should last you about two sets of pads. Goodluck.
        im not replacing the rotors. Im installing new pads, lol.
        but thanks.
        Mike A.

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959

i think you misunderstood me. i didn't say he should either. i just meant that changing rotors was easy too. =)
          Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
          FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
          Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

I just felt like writing a lot. LOL
            "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Working...
            X