Antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antenna

Does anyone know if they make smaller antennas for the 1st gen proteges? And where I could get them? I would like to replace my long ass antenna.

couldnt you just push the antenna down some to get it the right size

Comment

HEHE NO WAY YOU CAN
      93 Protege lx (Jessi)
      Project Jessi
      Sold

88 "terd tan" ranger

quote:
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Racing in a Honda is like racing in the special olympics, even if you win... your still retarded
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

there IS a way, don't remember how it was done, or what exactly was involved, but there was mention of using an audi TT antenna or something. it can be done, but what you do to get it done is beyond me. besides, i love my radio flyer looking antenna.. or the 'whip', as some so adoringly call it . anybody with USEFUL information?
        peace

Comment

Sorry, that was USEFUL information.

N1 i dont know if anyone makes a smaller attenna for the 1g's because theres really no need since you can push it down. Maybe you could buy one from the junk yard and chop a couple of inches of to your preferance, beyond that, i just puch mine down with my hands.

useful enough demon, k i thought so to.

Comment

Do different years of the 1st gen have different length antennas? The antenna on my 93 DX has the perfect length antenna, but I have seen longer ones... I know some Pros have a power antenna, could that be the reason some are longer?
            ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Well the reason I just dont push down the antenna some is because when I do I the reception isn't as good as when it is fully extended. I was hoping someone made an aftermarket short antenna like they do for the P5 and still get good reception.

Comment

I don't know if there is a direct replacement or swap you can do.
                I just push mine all the way down except for about 2 - 3 in. But then I never listen to the radio. Radio sucks they only play the same **** over and over and over and over again. Just CD's for me!
                2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Originally posted by dragnsfire83
                  Well the reason I just dont push down the antenna some is because when I do I the reception isn't as good as when it is fully extended. I was hoping someone made an aftermarket short antenna like they do for the P5 and still get good reception.
                  An antenna is an antenna. The length directly affects the reception. The quality of the receiver within the radio plays a big part in it as well. The ones in the P5 may just be better. There are no gain antennas produced for your car that will make reception better with a shorter length rod.
                  -Kevin
                  -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
                  -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
                  -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
                  -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
                  -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

get an mp3 cd player and push it all the way down

Comment

Originally posted by kcbhiw
                      An antenna is an antenna. The length directly affects the reception. The quality of the receiver within the radio plays a big part in it as well. The ones in the P5 may just be better. There are no gain antennas produced for your car that will make reception better with a shorter length rod.
                      Depending on the location of the mounting and the requirements you have you could have better reception with a shorter antenna. A quarter wave antenna does just about as well than a half wave, but the quarter wave must have a ground plane below it (i.e. a roof on a car or a trunk cover) whilst a half wave does not require one (and can be mounted more off to the side and still have good performance).

In most cases for a simple antenna (i.e. one that is not unreasonably large for mobile applications) the best is a 5/8ths wave antenna. They do require a ground plane but have more gain that either a 1/4 or 1/2 wave.

Additionally, though not as effective as a straight resonant element, shorter antennas can be achieved with a coil of wire that winds up a non conductive center piece.

Just some info.

-JJB
                      Last edited by JJB; 09-21-2003, 09:42 PM.
                      --JJB--
                      '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                      Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                      16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                      15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                      Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Was looking for the same answer as original poster on a 94 protege. Part of a try fell on my car and as such twisted the antenna at the base. It's still functional, albeit a little bent and broken, along with the black plastic cover that is screwed onto the top of the car. I was looking to replace the antenna, but couldn't find one anywhere (even on ebay). Was also hoping to get a good "stubby" antenna but they don't seem to make them for the 1st gens... And yes, I do listen to CDs a lot, but I also like to listen to local radio for variety and news and stuff! Reception right now for all the "good" stations down south are crap.

Comment

Working...
                        X