Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbo Charging A Protege 5 Is it even worth it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Charging A Protege 5 Is it even worth it ?

I am planning on Turbo Charging the Protege 5

One small problem its an automatic
    BUT HI BOOST makes a turbo kit for Autos

My question to everyone is ... IS this even worth it because i am kinda stuck with the car so i might as well make it faster after going on a incredible losing streak drag racing to numerous people

But i know its not going to be fun turbo'ing a Auto
    BUT

If you think this is a decent thing to do what will i need to get peek performance.

I know i will need a new Exhaust If i get the Turbo

I also will attempt to work 3-4 Jobs to make this possible asap so money wouldnt be a problem so what will i need to make my Protege 5 Super Fast On a AUTO TRANNY
    Last edited by Lost_Conception; 09-14-2003, 02:51 AM.

Only you can decide if it's worth it.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

All it takes is money man.

Once you DO have power though, you're going to need to get it to the ground.

http://www.protorque.com/index2.htm these people make custom torque converters, and i think that would probably help out quite a bit to get to your powerband faster in an automatic. i would look into getting one of these after you're boosted. they have a well written FAQ also that tells you what a torque converter is and why you need a better one.

Comment

The Hi-Boost system is very complete. And it works well with Automatics. I know of a few people running them and they love the setup now. 200whp is perfect for the street in a P5.

If you get the system get the full upgrade to the E6X for timing control.
        -Braden
        '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

Comment

check out Level 10
          2001 Protege LX
          Appearence: 17" Gunmetal Exel Radius, EL Protege door sills, Painted emblems, CF radio surround, changed interior lights to blue LED's.
          Performance: Black injen CAI, 2.25" Magnaflow catback
          Other: 1st's grounding kit, Kartboy Exhaust hangers

Free Desktop PC complete an offer and i'll complete one of yours or give ya $5. pm me if you do.

Comment

I will just tell you from experience and the customer service that the HiBoost kit is awesome! My friend Victor (Pirana on the protege5.com site) has an automatic P5 with this kit, and he smoked my 8PSI MP3. The kit is damned complete with electronic fuel control, and no FMU/FPR needed. My setup is suffering for power right now due to the limitations of the FMU (Fuel Management Unit) that just dumps fuel according to how much boost signal it is getting. The FMU is fine for lower boost (6-8 PSI), but you are limited to that. The HIBoost kit does 10 PSI on stock injectors and no FMU! I have the potential for 18-20 PSI right now due to my forged internals, but without fuel management and timing control based on load, boost, and rpm range, that goal is still out of reach.
            Last edited by LinuxRacr; 09-19-2003, 07:33 AM.
            2001 Mazda Protege MP3-Laser Mica Blue
            Engine Mods:
            Mental Addiction 2nd Gen Sleeper Turbo Kit

[Pauter Forged Rods] [JE Forged Pistons (9.1:1)] [Haltech E6X] [2nd Gen RX-7 S5 460cc injectors] [AEM 30-4100 Wideband O2 Guage & Sensor] [JIC-Magic 505 Sus Exhaust System (with Magnaflow 2.5 inch resonator)] [Exedy Stage I Organic MSPI Clutch Kit] [HKS SSQ BOV] [AWR Motor Mounts] [AWR High Performance Radiator (3501)] [Haltech Boost Controller] [Mazdaspeed Oil Cooler ]
            -----------------------------------

Comment

Don't worry Linux...We'll have something soon enough.

But remember, the FP kit was only designed for 8 psi...They weren't looking for the huge power like HiBoost.

It depends on what Lost_Conception wants. Huge power, or nice subtle push that works just as well.
              "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
              2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Chris, you know something I don't?
                Engine Mods:

[Pauter Forged Rods] [JE Forged Pistons (9.1:1)] [Haltech E6X] [2nd Gen RX-7 S5 460cc injectors] [AEM 30-4100 Wideband O2 Guage & Sensor] [JIC-Magic 505 Sus Exhaust System (with Magnaflow 2.5 inch resonator)] [Exedy Stage I Organic MSPI Clutch Kit] [HKS SSQ BOV] [AWR Motor Mounts] [AWR High Performance Radiator (3501)] [Haltech Boost Controller] [Mazdaspeed Oil Cooler ]

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxRacr
                  Chris, you know something I don't?
                  I'll talk to you about it...

Just some ideas Keith and I have been throwing back and forth.
                  "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

You have PM.
                    Engine Mods:

Comment

I saw...

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Go with it, you'll fall in love with the car all over again. I have an auto and have had it turbo charged by www.essentialspeed.com for a year and a half. no problems. What you need for an auto is a tranny cooler for sure and a regular check of the fluids. A tq convertor is a good idea and level ten makes a nice transmission if you are thinking about going all out. If you just want an extra little push, say 50-60 more hpo you tranny will be fine, I have put more than 100 extra whp and havent had any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                          Only you can decide if it's worth it.
                          word
                          James G.
                          sobe83@yahoo.com
                          AIM: DVS 323BPT
                          MySpace
                          Cardomain
                          <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

Must read:

Comment

Working...
                            X