CV Boots??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Boots??

My driver side cv boot is torn in half. Ive never replaced one before. Has anyone done it? I found a boot kit on for like $18 for the outer boot kit and $11 for the inner boot kit. On a scale of 1-10 10 being hardest what would you rate it? Im pretty mechanically inclined, and have worked on and help build alot of cars just never any cv's i guess..lol. Anyways, should I just try and do it or take it to a shop? Thanks!
    Eat ****.

Well, a shop would charge you about the same as a whole new axle and you installed it yourself. Not too much harder than a boot. Although every one of those glue boot kits i have used, have failed in no time....YMMV

4.5 outta 10 for the boot
    6.5 for the axle

Comment

if you have worked on a lot of cars they you have probably replaced an axle. i mean a new axle wouldn't hurt, and if you have torn a boot, there is probably dirt in the CV and it's life could now be limited even more.

either way rebooting it or replacing the whole axle it should only be an afternoon job.
      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
      So his engine he goosed
      With much too much boost,
      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

well to add to all of this, i just spoke to my mechanic and he said that if the boot has been ripped or torn (my left has a rip, and the right has been torn in half), it is just best to replace the whole axle. Fixing just the boot will only work for a short time, until you would have to do repairs again in a few months. The correct way to fix this problem is to just replace the whole thing. Sucks for me, cause it's $250 per side . . . maybe he'll gimme a break!
        Tag Team

Comment

Ive worked on lots of cars, but this is only my 2nd fwd car that ive ever gotten serious about. Besides my last talon and crx, all the other cars Ive ever worked on or help build have been rwd. And ive never once replaced an axle . Oh well, I think ill give it a shot, and if I cant figure it out, then Ill call up some friends or something....thanks all.
          Eat ****.

Comment

well apparently, the most difficult part of the project will be removing a center "clip" or retaining pin or bolt of some sort. It is supposedly bolted in there with like 100ft lbs of torque. So you're goin to need a good wratchet and a breaking bar.
            Tag Team

Comment

[QUOTE=JProtege] Sucks for me, cause it's $250 per side QUOTE]
              250 per side?!?!? where the hell are you getting this work done man?? .. u can pick an axle up at pepboys or any shop liek that for 150 approx.. and when u return your old one u usually get 75 dollars back .. no offence.. but your mechanic is ripping you off
              Pewter Silver 92 DX 5 Spd 1.8L SOHC
              -Stainless steel MagnaFlow exhaust with a double walled tip.
              -205/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE910 rubber
              -B&M Short Throw Shifter
              -MX-3 GS front seats
              -Front an Rear upper strut braces

(LOOKING FOR A CAI FOR MY SOHC !!!!)
              (GT-X on the way as I type)

Comment

yea that's the standard rate; he's not charging me that. 250-275 each axle is what 6 other shops around here are charging. He's charging 200 dollars total for labor on both sides. I'm goin to pick up the axles from advanced auto parts; $60 for the left and $70 for the right. I go back to him 'cause he is pretty competitive when it comes to labor costs, and he doesn't try to scam me.
                Tag Team

Comment

My Axle boot is torn too.... and my axle is going bad... and when I took it to the shop to replace the axle... they couldnt get the axle out... so basically he is saying he has to take the whole tranny out just to take the axle off and replace it... mother ****er is trying to scam me for 500 bones... no thanks... so hes just like "just drive it until it fails"... what a ****ing tard... pissin me off... had my ****ing car for 2 days straight... no ****ing progress... apparenlty the bitch is frozen in there... and they cant pry the bitch off... why me god... why me
                  1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
                  1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
                  2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
                  2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

man that sux, especially cause the muck from the CV is a bitch to clean off lol! My rims are staying mucked up on the inside until the axles are replaced so I don't have to keep cleaing them. Lucky for me, it'll be done on friday. Interesting how we are all having the same issues at the same time.
                    Tag Team

Comment

there is a presistant issue with axles getting "stuck" in the tranny. the key to getting an axle out is impulse and leverage. you want to use a very long prybar and give it one really good tug.

also hydolock. drain your tranny of fluid, and then try to pull the axle out. i suggest pulling your axles driverside first then passenger. If you remove your battery you can get at the driverside axle from above, which gives you more room to put... a bigger bar and any job is easier when you have more room.
                      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                      So his engine he goosed
                      With much too much boost,
                      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

When I replaced both axles I had a tough time getting the right one out. I ended up having to drop the front intermediate pipe to get a proper swing with the mini-sledge hammer I was using. Left one was pretty simple. I did it all by only removing the tie bars. I left everything else in tact and was able to squeeze the axle out.
                        My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                        - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
                        X