i cant do anything right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i cant do anything right

ok, so i swapped out my reap brake pads, but ive never changed brakes before, i learn as i go. so i took the ENTIRE CALIPER OFF before i realized how easy it actually was...

heres the problem: my right rear pads are so tight on the wheel that they are just grinding the whole time. the left rear are prefectly fine, however after bleeding my entire system, im not braking well at all. ive come to the conclusion that the rear 2 brakes arent working. ive tried backing off the alan wrench screw but its not working

heres the question: should i just drive the ****er untill the pads on the left side wear down? i dont know about this but it doesnt sound right at all. if not what do i do?
    Serenity's Dead.

I just went through this too. You have to make sure you compress the piston in as far as it will go, then install the pads.

With the caliper and pads installed on the car, turn the allen bolt on the caliper piston until the pads JUST touch the rotor, then back off the screw a little bit.

Make sure your sliders are sliding also.

FWIW, the pads I got were a tad too big to slip into the caliper easily (Albany brand from Autozone). I took a grinder to the edges (top and bottom) of the pads to make a little more clearance and ensure that the pads will slide inside the caliper as needed.

"Mazderati"
    91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
    Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
    Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
    AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Yup, gotta shove those pistons back. You can do it with the pads off but it's easier if you do it while they're on. This is how I do it.. Get a flathead screwdriver and wedge it in between the rotor and the pad and just pry it back until the pad is pushed back away from the rotor. Do this until the pad won't go back anymore, and voila! Your pistons are compressed and you can continue changing everything out.

Comment

I use a large-ish c-clamp. Works like butter

Don't forget to back the allen screw off ALL the way BEFORE you try to compress the piston!

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by N2OInferno
          Yup, gotta shove those pistons back. You can do it with the pads off but it's easier if you do it while they're on. This is how I do it.. Get a flathead screwdriver and wedge it in between the rotor and the pad and just pry it back until the pad is pushed back away from the rotor. Do this until the pad won't go back anymore, and voila! Your pistons are compressed and you can continue changing everything out.
          im pretty sure that you could damage your rotor that way
          No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

Oh yeah.. shoulda mentioned I only do that when I change rotors too. Did it on my grandmother's Shadow not too long ago. But if you're grinding against the rotor really bad with no pad left (always check the BACK of your rotor, it's the first to go) then most likely you're going to need your rotors turned/cut/machined or replaced.

Comment

brakes are a real bitch, i run out a set of pads in 5 to 7 months, as i drive like a complete and total asshole! not that i'm proud of it, but this morning, the repair of the day is replacing the front brakes, as i didn't have a chance to with the ****in rain yesturday. this is actually going to help me, i'm doing my rears tomorrow too if i get a chance. good luck
              peace

Comment

herein lies the problem, the thing was backed off all the way, and it still wasnt enough. im taking in to my mechanic, let his ass deal with it.
                Serenity's Dead.

Comment

lol...wuss but i do understand what ur saying...sometimes its just a lot easier to let someone else bother with it

Comment

Originally posted by KiddX
                    herein lies the problem, the thing was backed off all the way, and it still wasnt enough. im taking in to my mechanic, let his ass deal with it.
                    Did you compress the piston all the way? Backing the screw off won't necessarily pull the piston in. It needs to be persuaded. As I stated, I like to use a c-clamp.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

i used a c clamp, it just wouldnt go in enough

im gonna take it to my mechanic and we will figure it you
                      Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by demoninvictus
                        brakes are a real bitch, i run out a set of pads in 5 to 7 months, as i drive like a complete and total asshole! not that i'm proud of it, but this morning, the repair of the day is replacing the front brakes, as i didn't have a chance to with the ****in rain yesturday. this is actually going to help me, i'm doing my rears tomorrow too if i get a chance. good luck
                        peace
                        You ride your pads then....

In over a year of autocrossing damn near every weekend, and driving fairly aggressively on the street for 3 years, I still easily had half the meat left on my pads...
                        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                        -93 MR2, 129 ES
                        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays

In over a year of autocrossing damn near every weekend, and driving fairly aggressively on the street for 3 years, I still easily had half the meat left on my pads...
                          It's funny, because pizza delivery guys never come to a complete stop at a stop sign.
                          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays

Nah, Jesse's just a wuss....

I went through a set in 1.5 years racing and street driving.

Stop slacking!

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                              It's funny, because pizza delivery guys never come to a complete stop at a stop sign.
                              lmao...dont be mean

Comment

Working...
                              X