rim/tire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rim/tire size

Alright im gettin rims as soon as i pick them out. All i know for sure is that im gettin 17's nothing bigger nothing smaller. But i need to know what width i need to look for and the tire size as well. someone help soon>>>>>

ive got a 2000 protege LX

Most 17" wheels are at least 7" wide, they make some 7.5"s also but then I think the offset would become a deciding factor as to whether they will rub or not. To match your stock overall diameter and avoid throwing your speedo out of whack a 205/40-17 would be correct. This will ride quite stiffer, mostly you'll notice it on small pavement imperfections (tar strips, trenching patches, etc.) and while you won't have to be super-extra-careful, I'd take it easier on rough RR tracks and the like. BTW most tires in those sizes have a rim-protector built into the sidewall, but that helps mostly for parking against the curb damage.
    2002.5 DX Sedan, Garnet Red Mica, PIAA Headlights, Racing Beat MP3 springs, Tokico HP struts, Injen CAI, MSP axle-back exhaust, MSP S.T. brace, Mod-o-fied AWR 19MM rear bar, AWR end-links F/R, 16x7 alloys w/Paradas(street), 15x6 Miata OEM alloys w/Falken Azenis(Solo II STS), personalized plates "VTC FREE"
    I remember the days of racing when the the Drivers were Fat and the Tires were Skinny.

Comment

Ive got 205/40/17 tires on my rims. I kinda wish i had 7" wide rim instead of a 7.5" wide rim... i rub a little. LOL!
      "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

I thought 45 was the proper profile for 17s on our cars?
        Officially Sponsored by www.ProtegeGarage.com

Comment

there's a million opinions on rim size.
          i'll have mine in a month... from what I understand:
          17x7 = +40 or +42 offset
          17x7.5 = +45 offset, at least

I'm looking at 17x7.5 with +45offset.. i would prefer a 17x7 with +42.. then i'd be safe

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
          RB springs
          Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
          MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Check out the above link for Rishie's tire fitment recipe. He's pretty well the authority on wheel fitment for the proteges.

Looks like Lil Freek knows his wheels.

Comment

yeah.. all the stuff i've read is about the sedan.. only prob with me is that i'm gonna have a sedan with a p5 front bumper and wheel wells... so i'm pretty sure i'll have to abide by those rules.
              i'm hoping that 17x7.5 +45mm is alright.. oh god i hope

RB springs
              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
                yeah.. all the stuff i've read is about the sedan.. only prob with me is that i'm gonna have a sedan with a p5 front bumper and wheel wells... so i'm pretty sure i'll have to abide by those rules.
                i'm hoping that 17x7.5 +45mm is alright.. oh god i hope
                Maybe go +48 then, just to be safe.

Comment

i just posed the question in the other thread you mentioned.

i'm looking at 2 rims... one is 17x7.5, +45mm and the other is 17x7 +42mm
                  i don't know which will work best..

RB springs
                  Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Working...
                  X