2 Tire replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Tire replacements

Came across an article in this month's motor trend, couldn't find it on the website though. Kind of important if you're replacing only 2 tires, they said that the new tires should go on the REAR, not the front. This is contrary to what most tire store will tell you, but they talked to the Michelin guys, and thats what they said. Their reasoning was that in wet conditions, even at normal speeds, worn rear tires combined with new fronts can cause very unpradictable instability, in other words, the back end snaps around with little to no warning. Even a professional test driver will have trouble recovering. Just a little FYI

im getting my rear tires replaced tommorow, i was going to move them to the front... ill think about it

Comment

It's counterintuitive, especially for FWD cars, but the more you think about it, the more it makes sense.

Comment

hell with that , just hit the gas and countersteer.
        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

That will just snap it around the other way. If a professional driver can't keep it going the right way, I don't think many people on the road can.

Comment

Just remember there are way to many factors to take into consideration before swallowing all the damn information they give. Plus who the hell runs michelins. Bun fire pon dat.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Ralf Schumacher runs michelins. . . why would they make it up or alter the truth in any way about this? I can understand biased reviews and whatnot, but not saftey stuff

Comment

Ralf Schmacher can't drive worth of crap ...
                Remeber back in the day when we would get shown up by everyone else.

anyway ..
                michelins are rocks. but if the tire is really really worn then yeah put it in the front and the good in the back. But if you have like 80% thread left in the tire, tell me why you can't put the tire in the back.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Oh no, obviously if you have 80% then go for it, I think they were saying more like "don't put brand new tires on front w/ 45% on the rear"
                  Last edited by 95ProLeila; 04-08-2004, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X