Moving air flow meter after BOV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving air flow meter after BOV

Just wondering if anyone has ever attempted this?
    James G.
    sobe83@yahoo.com
    AIM: DVS 323BPT
    MySpace
    Cardomain
    <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Are you already running a BOV? Are you having problems with it?
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Yah I'm running a Greddy S, I can just smell that rich smell ever so often after blowing off. Just wondering if anyone ever attempted moving the VAF closer to the TB. Main reason I ask, is if it will throw off an codes.
      James G.
      sobe83@yahoo.com
      AIM: DVS 323BPT
      MySpace
      Cardomain
      <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

If the VAF is moved closer to the throttle body, it will cause the car to stall after the bov goes off due to the fact that the VAF will tell the ecu that there is a certain amount of air coming into the engine, but that air will not bethere due to the bov releasing it. However, if the bov returns to the intake, I'm not sure as to how the VAF and ecu would handle that......may run lean by possibly having more air than the VAF read originally.....all in all, it's worth a try.
        1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
        MODS:
        GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
        TO DO LIST:
        EDM/JDM rear bumper
        EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
        Repaint car

Comment

i am 99% sure that the VAF has to be prior to turbo and not after. the ecu will freak out.

The rich smell is there because the A/F ratio jumps up everytime the blowoff valve opens. This happens because the air measured at VAF doesnot entirely enter the engine (due to the blowoff) and is faced with more fuel than air. It is a characteristic of the turbo engine and would be hard to get rid off.

Recirc blow off valves can partially fix this problem, but i have no experience with those.

Q

Comment

Over on the MX-6 boards none of the guys have any problems putting the BOV right before the throttle body, just running rich right after the BOV goes off. I think you could solve the problem by using a by-pass valve, wait the motor still won't have the air the VAF told it it would. I would think you would still have a rich condition anyways....

I hope someone can clarify this though, as I was intending to put my BOV right before the TB.

Comment

Working...
            X