Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1995 stock oil cooler on a 91 bp05(DOHC) block??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1995 stock oil cooler on a 91 bp05(DOHC) block??

anyone know if its possible to swap our old school oil cooler for a new second gen 95' 6 stage oil cooler??? is it the same block?

Any help would be appreciated. this would be a small upgrade from current, so the idea came to mind. and its very similar to a GTR oil cooler.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

95 protege... ? these didn't come with oil coolers
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

well mister big moderator no offense or anything but check your sources again....(where your oil filter screws onto is the stock oil cooler on the BP's notice the circle fins to dissapate heat...(its old school technology.) That is what i am looking for answers on

NO offense or anything as well....Im just a little smartassed and cocky tonight.
      (no hard feelings)
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

bpt323,

As far as I know they are interchangeable due to the thread and oil filter size being the same. However it uses coolant to cool the oil down and you may have to re-route your heater hoses to get the proper effect.
        -Braden
        '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
          well mister big moderator no offense or anything but check your sources again....(where your oil filter screws onto is the stock oil cooler on the BP's notice the circle fins to dissapate heat...(its old school technology.) That is what i am looking for answers on

NO offense or anything as well....Im just a little smartassed and cocky tonight.
          (no hard feelings)
          Well I think you should cool your cockiness down... Me being a modertor really means nothing.

What I was trying to say was that a 95 protege is a second gen protege. And they didn't come with oil coolers.

the pre 94 models came with oil coolers.

You can go to a Junkyard and grab everything that you need off a junked LX.
          you will need the threaded long part that the oil filter screws on to ..
          I hope this helps you
          Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

man....this is bull****....I can't believe im the only one out there that has though about doing this really....
            And also ive seen the stock oil cooler....so i know it exists. only on the 1.8's that i have even bothered to look at though.

Comment

I put the oil cooler on my 96 engine which is a 1.8L

The shape car in my sig is a 95 ... the 1.8 and 1.5 did not come with an oil cooler.

The car you want to get that oil cooler out of is a 94 and before protege lx.

You need the threaded-blot that the oil filter screws on to.. you will have to use the double bolt theory to get it out of the block. Then you need to grab the hoses from off the donor car, because you will need them.

I did this on my e ngine except the hoses I got were brand new and about 20 bucks each..
              Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

You're prolly better off buying an oil filter relocater and then pluming in a traditional oil cooler.

Check that out. They have a small oil cooler that you can mount just infront of your radiator. It'll cool a ****load better than the stock unit.

If you're in the cold climate, buy the bypass valve so that it doesn't route oil to the cooler until the oil reaches a certain temp.

...just my two cents.
                Last edited by zenilder; 09-03-2003, 05:05 PM.
                Bryan
                MOCC MEMBER

-"Mean people rule."

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                Thought the oil pump was run off the timing belt??

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
                  man....this is bull****....I can't believe im the only one out there that has though about doing this really....
                  And also ive seen the stock oil cooler....so i know it exists. only on the 1.8's that i have even bothered to look at though.
                  Did you ever think that it might not be worth it? Are your oil temps overly high? Would a regular aftermarket remote oil filter/cooler be a better solution? Usually is....and I'd say definately so on a BP, whose oil filter is already in an awkard place to reach.

Maybe tone down the attitude just a hair?
                  "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                  -93 MR2, 129 ES
                  ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                  Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                    this is why you n00bs get no respect... acting like a flaming pissant

LISTEN to people who have been in the scene MUCH longer than you have... the mods are them... they KNOW their stuff... while you... DON'T

so tell me where the oil cooler is on the 1995 1.8 liter BP? I don't see it!

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by cablemirc
                      :offtopic- bruce, did you see the morphing protege? your car's in it, sign on Yahoo! and i'll show you.
                      morphing protege, what's that

email it to me .. as I am at work BSing but can't get on yahoo..
                      well I can but you can't send me files
                      bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

WEll guys...It is very possible i may have made a mistake I was basing my thoughts on photos i found on a felow protege member's site. He directly stated that he used a 95 oil cooler when he did his swap....

Next time I'll do a little research.

And for your information I am not a "Noob" been with the BG chassis for going on 5 years.... not too many questions I have that i can't answer.

Most of the posts i make are in the interest of bettering our cars. if even in the smallest way.

(If i was a noob I would be at protegeclub.com)lol

I'll cool my additude a little as well but still give me a little respect here.

Comment

your response to the people helping you is what got you those responses.

but at anyrate. Now you know.
                          You can easily get one from a junkyard though.
                          bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Now...

What about oil pressure drop when installing an inline oil cooler?

because the one used on factory models is water cooled, so pressure drop is not a factor.

Comment

Why don't you just pull an oil cooler off a EGT?... don't forget to pull the threaded oil tube too cause you need the longer one.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                              Member of MX-3.com
                              1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                              1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Working...
                              X