will it make a difference???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will it make a difference???

ok i have been buying and selling rims ever since i bought my 323 from 14" to 15" nothing bigger nor smaller than that. Anyhow i notice the big difference between the 14" compare to 15". with the 14 my car is very torqy and picks up real fast compare to the 15 that is kinda heavy and i kinda lost a lil torque off the line.

I have a 15" rota grid w/ falken azenis that wieghs 39 lbs. the 14" that i used to have b4 was from a civic hx 14"x5.5" w/ 185/60 that weighs 30lbs. here is the question...will it make a difference if i just buy a regular street tires (kuhmo) for my 15" that will weigh 30lbs instead of buying a 14" that weighs 30lbs including tires.

or will the diameter of the wheel varies? since 15" is a lil bigger that the 14 it will take a lil while to turn the tires compare to the 14" which is way smaller than 15.
    or it doesn't matter about the diameter all it matters is the weight?

i dont know exactly what the optimal wheel size is, i know that the way my eclipse was fastest on 17's, something to do with the way your engine is set up
    Serenity's Dead.

Comment

I've heard that 15's (like 15x7) are the way to go. Best ballance between performance and handeling, ie.. you can run a wider tire to enhance handeling capeabilities and the wheel isn't so big that it hurts performance at the track like a 16" or 17" would.
      2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

1) kumhos can sux my nutz0rz

2) acceleration will be reduced if overall diameter on the 15" setup is larger than the 14" setup, assuming both weights are identical or almost; the diameter of the wheel does not factor in as much as the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combination

3) i have 16x7 and they are great! although my tires are 205/40, i wish i had gotten 215/40

4) take all of what i say with a grain of salt, because if you've ever read any of my posts you will likely find that sometimes i may or may not be a complete imbecile
        Tag Team

Comment

Both the weight and the diameter of road wheels affect acceleration. Increasing the wheel weight increases the rotational mass that has to be set into motion.

Increasing the tire diameter effectively raises the gear ratio (lowers it numerically) which reduces acceleration. When you increase wheel diameter you should reduce the aspect ratio of the new, larger diameter tire in order to maintain the same rolling diameter as before. Of course, if you are not concerned with speedometer accuracy, you could opt for a wheel/tire combo with a smaller rolling diameter than stock thus effectively lowering the gear ratio (raising it numerically) and consequently increasing your acceleration to some extent.
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Another thought.

If you are looking to maximize acceleration primarily through wheel weight, consider using forged instead of cast wheels. The only problem here is that forged wheels are incredibly expensive and so may not be an option for you. They certainly weren't for me.

For example, my 16" 5Zigen FNO1R-C (cast) wheels weigh~15 lbs. The identical in appearance 16" 5Zigen FNO1R (forged) wheels weigh 5.3 kg (11.7 lbs) and the 15" size only weigh 4.8 kg (10.6 lbs.).

02 DX Millenium Red
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Kumho Ecsta 712's are THE MOST OVERRATED TIRE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.
              I farking hate them.
              That is all.
              http://www.jessicaalbaonline.net/movies/VH1s.wmv <-- Watch it. Trust me.

Comment

i need to buy tires for my 16" rims, so is 205/40 recommended or 205/45??

let me know guys...thanks

Comment

Originally posted by whistler

It all depends on what your stock wheel/tire size was. To maintain speedometer accuracy, choose a new wheel/tire combo with the same rolling diameter as the original.

Go to: www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

Originally posted by whistler

I've ran both sizes, and I prefer the 45 series over the 40's. They ride allot better.
                    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

the 40's keep your tire diameter the same, which wont throw off your speedo. i run on 40/ and i don't mind the ride, ranted i am upgrading to 400lbm springs in the rear and 350 up front.

and if you want to maximize your acceleration the smaller the dia of the rim the faster you can accelerate. yay inertia (iirc inertia was the angular acceleration times the (radius squared). and angular acceleration is mass dependent given that the work done on the tire is constant.

you can have a lighter wheel that has a larger diameter that will impede your acceleration more than a smaller radius tire with more weight.
                      Last edited by Protoss; 04-12-2004, 02:31 AM.
                      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                      So his engine he goosed
                      With much too much boost,
                      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

It's definitely more dependant on wheel diameter than weight, although lighter wheels are definitely faster all else being equal.

My car ran 16.8 with my 205/40/17 and 16.3 with my 185/60/14. What does that tell you? You'd think the extra traction of the 205s would lower my 60' times, but they didn't help all that much.

When I get my 205/50/14s, then we'll be talking grip and a higher gear ratio. 15.5 seconds, here I come......

Comment

i think im gonna go with the 205/40's then... hopefully Falken's.... lets see this summer....

Comment

Working...
                          X