AWR header installed got some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AWR header installed got some questions

Ok so yesterday I had my AWR header installed on my 99 ES, It looks great, sounds different, more buzzy than I would like but the performance is noticeable, now my concerns 1st it is a tight fit, the header touches the heat shield of the right front fan, so my mechanic warned me to watch this as the heat could cause the fan motor to go, 2nd the radiator had to be removed for the install and now the bottom radiator hose on the right is very close to the bottom of the header, my mechanic warned me to watch this especially with summer coming on that the hose did not melt or be otherwise affected by the extra heat, 3rd the O2 sensor wires just fit infact they had to be moved and creatively attached (zip ties) my mechanic says I can get longer ones, but he also warned me about the placement of the downstream O2 sensor saying he wasnt sure that it wouldnt throw a CEL because of its placement but so far so good, finally I am worried because this header totally removes the main cat and the car is definetly not legal, I kept all the parts that were removed in case I need to change but we'll see, anyway I'll post some pics and please anybody let me know any other concerns or checks I should make, also my mechanic said there should be some kind of fitting to move the radiator hose out of the way of the header, or possibly a heat resistant or metal hose I can use, does anyone know anything? Thanks Nik

99ES exhaust,header,shifter,suspension,brakes (didnt feel like details today)

The header is a snug fit, yes. I removed my passenger side radiator fan completely. No check engine light and no temperature problems. I believe the passenger side one is for when the A/C compressor is turned on...but I'm not positive. Don't leave it touching the fan! It completely burned through my backing plate on the fan motor. Take it out or find header wrap or something, just don't leave it touching. As long as your lower radiator hose isn't directly touching the header, you should be good. Mine has been just fine sitting next to it for months now, no signs of burning or damage. You will throw a CEL eventually, it takes a few miles though. I got the O2 sim. and it was gone instantly. Any more questions let me know!

Comment

where did you get it and how much? Any pics of vids?
      My OLD Car

Comment

Originally posted by dahotprotege
        where did you get it and how much? Any pics of vids?
        I bought mine from Protege5Online, and it was a little under $500 because of purchasing multiple items at once. Pic of my engine bay thanks to MP3Josh

Comment

nice you needa chrome them bitches. Do they have em for the 1.6 too?
          My OLD Car

Comment

Originally posted by gcs118
            The header is a snug fit, yes. I removed my passenger side radiator fan completely. No check engine light and no temperature problems. I believe the passenger side one is for when the A/C compressor is turned on...but I'm not positive. Don't leave it touching the fan! It completely burned through my backing plate on the fan motor. Take it out or find header wrap or something, just don't leave it touching. As long as your lower radiator hose isn't directly touching the header, you should be good. Mine has been just fine sitting next to it for months now, no signs of burning or damage. You will throw a CEL eventually, it takes a few miles though. I got the O2 sim. and it was gone instantly. Any more questions let me know!
            What is the O2 sim. and where did you get it? Also no problems using the Ac without the fan? Thanks Nik

Comment

Originally posted by dahotprotege
              nice you needa chrome them bitches. Do they have em for the 1.6 too?
              Just the 2.0L

Comment

Originally posted by Zmanpro63
                What is the O2 sim. and where did you get it? Also no problems using the Ac without the fan? Thanks Nik

I bought my O2 sim from
                This website is for sale! ponyexpressperformance.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ponyexpressperformance.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

or how-to to make your own hella cheaper here
                Mazdas247 is an independent community featuring Discussion Forums, Classifieds and Resources for Mazda vehicles.

The O2 simulator is simply a series of resistors I believe that keeps a mixed signal going so the ECU is tricked into thinking the first cat is working properly.
                I never use the A/C so I really don't know if the fan missing affects it. I've had the fan out only Nov-Apr so no really hot months. The only problem I see would be stuck in traffic on a hot day, the engine may heat up a bit. I'm looking for slim fans to replace my stock but haven't had much luck, just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Originally posted by gcs118
                  I bought my O2 sim from
                  http://www.ponyexpressperformance.co...liminator.html
                  or how-to to make your own hella cheaper here
                  http://www.mazdamp3.com/vbb225/showthread.php?t=52498

The O2 simulator is simply a series of resistors I believe that keeps a mixed signal going so the ECU is tricked into thinking the first cat is working properly.
                  I never use the A/C so I really don't know if the fan missing affects it. I've had the fan out only Nov-Apr so no really hot months. The only problem I see would be stuck in traffic on a hot day, the engine may heat up a bit. I'm looking for slim fans to replace my stock but haven't had much luck, just to be on the safe side.
                  Thanks alot!!!! I just ordered header wrap from Summit Racing, and Im headed to Radio Shack tonight, I'll keep you posted thanks again Nik

Comment

No problem, run into any more trouble just let me know and I'll see if I can help

Comment

Working...
                    X