Grounding Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grounding Kit

Does anyone know how effective they are?

i'm talking

a) how well it affects sound quality of a stereo

and

b) how it affects car's hp. I bring it up because of this link . . .

anyway, appreciate any info.
    Tag Team

im not positive but i have seem reviews that they add up to like 5hp which i to me isnt a real big deal , but they are supposed to improve gas mileage a but a well. I havent heard anything about the sound quality though

Comment

Re: Grounding Kit

This is a difficult question to answer because people seem to have diametrically opposed opinions on this subject. My own limited experience with running an additional ground wire was positive. I ran a 9" length of 4 ga wire from the batt - term in parallel with the OEM ground wire to the stock grounding plate location on the driver's side of the battery. I used this ground wire in conjunction with my SUV Lights heavy duty wiring harness and was able to achieve a MEASUREABLE reduction in the ground return resistance of the headlight circuit. If you're interested you can read about it at:

I noticed no other benefits from the additional ground although admittedly this is a very limited application of the technique. I've held off from installing a more complete grounding system because it's difficult for me to understand, from a theoretical standpoint, how these systems can produce such amazing results including substantial HP increases.

IMO, it wouldn't hurt to run additional grounds from selected points: from the head (not the valve cover) to ground the spark plug return; from the intake manifold to ground the fuel injectors return and from places like the fan and headlights grounds because of the heavy current draw involved.

Incidently, I believe the correct way to do the job is to run separate grounds from each area to a central grounding point such as the stock grounding plate (using a longer bolt) or directly to an aftermarket batt - terminal. This method provides a more efficient grounding system and eliminates ground loops as compared with running ground wires end to end. I also think that nothing smaller than 4 ga wire should be used for grounds. At the very least, I would think this would improve the efficiency of the electrical system if nothing else.

I checked out the website you posted. It looks like the grounding kit is very well-made from what I could tell. I especially liked the fact that the terminals are soldered as well as crimped as this adds to the connector strength and helps to eliminate corrosion. I also noted that very impressive HP gains are claimed. It's too bad he doesn't make one for the Mazda.

I don't think this really answers your question, but I don't know if there are any definitive answers right now. For those of you who have gotten HP gains, smoother idle and better gas mileage from installing ground kits, don't flame me. I am willing to entertain the idea I might be wrong in thinking there is no profound difference here. Besides, I never argue with a man's (or a woman's) butt dyno.
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

ALso, will this eliminate static shocks when I get out of my car, please say it does. everytime without fail I get one.
        Visit My Garage

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman112k3
          ALso, will this eliminate static shocks when I get out of my car, please say it does. everytime without fail I get one.
          Sorry, I don't know whether it would or not. I would say probably not because everytime you leave the car and your feet touch the ground, your body acts as a ground conductor between the car and the earth.

02 DX Millenium Red
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

I got shocked in the nipple yesterday (seriously) It hurt like a mother****er, and my nipple stayed hard for like an hour after that.
            Ryan The middle child is always ignored
            BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Get new, non-conductive shoes. That will solve your problem.

Comment

goldstar your input is very helpful, thanks. So if i decide to make my own grounding kit, i should take points from different parts and have them all meet a the negative terminal?

I was actually contemplating the difference between using the daisy chain method vs the circle earth method. It seems that a circle earth method would make the most sense because all the parts wired together would essentially be wired in parallel instead of in series.
                Tag Team

Comment

JProtege,

Yes, attach all separate ground wires to a common point at or near the batt.-terminal. As you point out, the ground wires will then be in parallel giving a better ground system than would the daisy-chain method. Glad I was able to help.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

i just did a 5 point custom grounding kit on my 02 protege, and noticed no difference so far... but my engine bay looks like im running MAD mods LOL
                    2002 Protege LX
                    ] Eibach Pro Springs [] Tokico HP shocks [] AWR rear swaybar [] PIAA Super Plasma GT-X [] custom CAI [] 30% all-around tints [] 17" Flik Wasps / Kumho Ecsta 711 tires [] APC Eurotails [

Comment

Working...
                    X