Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any precautions when removing side moldings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any precautions when removing side moldings?

I was look at the side moldings on my 99 lx and one of them seems kinda weak, it doesnt seem to be held on very well anymore so i figured i could turn it into a project and remove them. Is there anything i should worry about screwing up?

Thank You

yes, a few have done it wrong and pulled some of the paint from the body underneath the molding. BE PATIENT! Some people used different products to help rub off the molding. There is a write up in the how-to section. My moldings came off after about an hour and a half of just straight thumb rubbing.

A subtle but yet clean mod when done right. Be Patient and drink a strong coffee
    Want Projector Headlights ?

Comment

hmmm....the car is five years which might make the double sided tape a bit tougher to get off but I wonder if there would be a different shade in color from the area underneath the molding to the rest of the car being the area has been protected for five years.

Comment

thats true too ... i will have to think about it. Thank you

Comment

I'd still do it though, in time it will blend in

Comment

My car was a bit over 3 years old when I did mine, and I had some slight dis-coloration. Honestly though, I don't know if I will do it on my next Protege, too much damn work.

Comment

use good adhesive remover. make sure it doesnt eat paint. i used a crappy one and it took me about an hour and a half for all of the pieces. another thing, i found that an old credit card will work GREAT to scrape off the adhesive without scratching the paint. i used two for the whole thing. your thumbnail should work pretty good too. other than that, its pretty easy. a hair dryer may help a little bit to soften everything up, especially since its a couple years old.
              2002.5 protege dx

Comment

oh, also, at first there was a slight discoloration, but after a couple of washes you cant even see it.
                2002.5 protege dx

Comment

well i bought my car from an old women who had been in an accident and didnt take great care of it so my hood is green with just an overspray and so is one of the fenders and its kinda messed up along with the bumper I was thinking about getting the car primered and painted again when i get my kit , keeping it the same color so i dont have to repaint everything like the engine bay and door jams but i dont know how much thats gonna cost.... anyone got an estimate on something like that?

Comment

Working...
                  X