Flat Black First Gens??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Black First Gens??

Alright, my paint is crappy crappy crappy. Oxizdation (sp) all over the roof, and its starting to chip and crack in places, anywho I don't have enought money for a new paint job, so Im thinking about just flat blacking it until I can afford a real one. It will probably be a rattle can job, so it wont look all that great. I don't care all that much tho, just more of a sleeper effect imho, but does anyone have any pics of a flat blacked first gen? Or any tips, advice, feedback etc on going about this or what type of paint you've used, I have the next entire week off so I plan on tackling this then. THanks in advance!!
    Eat ****.

this summer i might do somthing like that on mine cause i got a dent in the side and some dents on the roof but dont have money to get a real paint job
    i is dumb

Comment

yea dents suck, I got 2 on my passenger side> imma try to bang em out also.
      Eat ****.

Comment

no matter what sprayer it comes out of, any paint job is 90% prep work, 10% paint. Take your time to do the body work and prep work right. Even if your just doing a band aid paint job out of a spray can.

Comment

YUp...

Prep work is what matters ALL THE TIME. I Flat blacked my pro and it came out pretty freakin dope if u ask me.Anyway what i did first was clean the car real good...all grease n dirt should come off completely. Second i scuffed the crap out of it. i made sure i scuffed in the same direction so when the flat black hit the car it wouldnt showto many weird angled scratches...after the scuff i cleaned all the dust off completely,and then i mist coated the whole car with flat black twice....after the second mist coat i just layed on a harder mist coat..then i when that dried i layed on the solid layer..took like 7 cans because i was being a little too neat..lol. Only thing i wasnt happy with was the hood causeu can see the lines of the spray..but its still looks cool..Oh and buy the same brand of paint..i used a differnt brand on my bumper and its a bit Satin-ish..so i gotta fix that..lol.

Anyway u might have all ready known all this (pretty common sense) but in case u didnt its all here Homie.

Oh heres a pic: www.staytunned.20m.com

Peace.

Comment

Jeebus thats a huge freakin intercooler. Your car looks ****ing kick ass. Aside from the front bumper being black, that is what I was going after. Massive props on your car, that things insane. The gold rims look kick ass to, what kind are they?? And how low is that thing, it looks like youll scrape every road you drive on..lol. I can't get over it, thats like exactly how I was imagining my protege looking, and the turbo bp gotta love that, perfect!!

PS WTF is scuffing?
            Eat ****.

Comment

Go to NAPA or a body shop supply store and ask for some red scrotchbrite scratchpads.

Get some dish soap in a bucket w/ water and kinda wash your car w/ the scratch pads. Or if you want to you can get some 3M Prep Blend and for every 3 square feet you are going to "scuff" up use about a quarter size on your scratch pad.

I recommend using the Prep Blend as it ensures that your scratches are going to be uniform, has a cleaning compound in it to clean off any oils or silicones (which cause "fish eyes"), and also has fine scratching particles in it to help "scuff" the paint.

I don't recommend using spray paint, as I have had quite a few personal experiences with having to paint over it. It usually results in the real paint that we put over it "lifting". Lifting is when the chemicals react with eachother and causes gas to be released from under the paint, resulting in the paint (and primer that we put on the spray paint) actually lifting up raising itself from the spray paint underneath it. It kinda looks like a top shot of a mountain w/ all the ridges and **** around it. Not very professional looking at all. I will say though that not every experience that I have had spraying over spray paint has resulted in this (well only one incident). This might cause the person who paints it later on charge you more for the work they are going to have to do stripping all of the spray paint off.

Just make sure after the car is dry the clear coat is very shiny anymore and is dull. You will still see a little shine from an angle, which is okay as the "scuff" marks are all uniform and you cant see parts of clear not "scuffed". If you have any body work, fading paint, or rock chips then you'll need some sand paper too.
              Last edited by Tweeaks; 04-12-2004, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweeaks
                Go to NAPA or a body shop supply store and ask for some red scrotchbrite scratchpads.

Get some dish soap in a bucket w/ water and kinda wash your car w/ the scratch pads. Or if you want to you can get some 3M Prep Blend and for every 3 square feet you are going to "scuff" up use about a quarter size on your scratch pad.

I recommend using the Prep Blend as it ensures that your scratches are going to be uniform, has a cleaning compound in it to clean off any oils or silicones (which cause "fish eyes"), and also has fine scratching particles in it to help "scuff" the paint.

I don't recommend using spray paint, as I have had quite a few personal experiences with having to paint over it. It usually results in the real paint that we put over it "lifting". Lifting is when the chemicals react with eachother and causes gas to be released from under the paint, resulting in the paint (and primer that we put on the spray paint) actually lifting up raising itself from the spray paint underneath it. It kinda looks like a top shot of a mountain w/ all the ridges and **** around it. Not very professional looking at all. I will say though that not every experience that I have had spraying over spray paint has resulted in this (well only one incident). This might cause the person who paints it later on charge you more for the work they are going to have to do stripping all of the spray paint off.

Just make sure after the car is dry the clear coat is very shiny anymore and is dull. You will still see a little shine from an angle, which is okay as the "scuff" marks are all uniform and you cant see parts of clear not "scuffed". If you have any body work, fading paint, or rock chips then you'll need some sand paper too.
                good advice.
                do you think that primer spray paint would cause the lifting, or not?? I know they make a black colored primer spray paint, which would be a step in the right direction IMO.
                Last edited by D323; 04-13-2004, 09:18 PM.
                The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I just got done flat blacking my car. It looks ok right now, I only did 1 coat and I still need to take some soft grit steel wool and get all the dust and paint bits off. Im gonna do another coat or 2 to make it look a little better. Ill try and get a camera and take some pics, it looks pretty good so far tho.
                  Eat ****.

Comment

camo your car.
                    turbo mp3 #256

Comment

Working...
                    X