Help! Clicking sound when turning at low speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Clicking sound when turning at low speeds

On my 1992 Protege, I get this strange clicking sound when turning the wheel all the way at low speeds. Any idea what it might be? Suspension? Brakes? Steeing? Thanks, any advice would be great!

you got a bad CV joint. i am currently having the same problem
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
      you got a bad CV joint. i am currently having the same problem
      Really? Is it like a creaking clicking sound? So how much do these things run to replace? Is it dangerous to drive it right now?

Comment

i got mine for 20 bux at some retailer that only supplies dealers. but im pretty sure they are not more then that at most auto parts stores. they are pretty easy to replace and it should be done quickly cause the longer u drive it the worst it gets and it can mess up stuff
        i is dumb

Comment

its usually simplier to just buy a new axle an put that in .. instead of tearing yer old one out an puttin a new cv joint in it .... sure it'll cost you a lil more.. but it will probally last longer too.. plsu when u taker your old axle back to them for refurbishing you'll get about 100 bucks back ..

ps: what is it with everybodys axles goin all within liek a month ... its nuts.. it must be a plague infecting our pro's
          Pewter Silver 92 DX 5 Spd 1.8L SOHC
          -Stainless steel MagnaFlow exhaust with a double walled tip.
          -205/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE910 rubber
          -B&M Short Throw Shifter
          -MX-3 GS front seats
          -Front an Rear upper strut braces

(LOOKING FOR A CAI FOR MY SOHC !!!!)
          (GT-X on the way as I type)

Comment

or mazda designed the factory axles to hold up until May-April of 04...

Comment

Ok after looking at the axles today I noticed the drivers side CV boot the rubber thing is ripped so i'm assuming there is no grease in there. Could that be the problem?

Comment

ohhh that axel is ****ed, time for a new one.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

yeah! don't let it break on you. If it breaks you will be stuck wherever you are. This hapened to me in my protege and I never had a click from the axle.

Can you install the axle yourself?
                  If so it should run you about 90 bucks a side and then you will get your core money back when you return your old axles.

If you can't install it yourself?
                  It may run you about 140 or so. I am not sure about the pricing but figure it may be in that area.

good luck.
                  photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Dammit well guess what! you guys were right! The dam drivers side axle is ****ed....I took it to Sears because it convinent and they are fixing it right now as we speak....

Left Axle $109.90 (Half Shaft CQ 60-2011)
                    Installation $99.99

$209.89.... off to a bad start.... oh well..... now I need an AC Compressor...I wonder how much thats gonna run...****

Comment

A/C compressor.... ouch.... why not use the factory 4-65 a/c?

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                        A/C compressor.... ouch.... why not use the factory 4-65 a/c?
                        Huh? whats that? sorry i'm not too good with these things...

Comment

Great to make things worse now I hear the sound coming from the passenger side....****...now I gotta go back to sears and have the right one changed..... at least its not as bad as the sound that was coming from the left side before I replaced it.... I think i'll fix the AC first.... Is this like a common thing with the 1st gens? seems alot of people have messed up axles.....

Also stupid question, what is a tie rod end? is it part of the axle and replaced with it or is it something totally different.... also the Sears guys reffer to the axle as a half shaft...same thing right? And the CV boot is replaced as well with a new axle? Sorry as you can see my other car is very new so not too sure about all these problems with my 92 beater..( I mean project car.) But i'm glad for this forum..thanks in advance guys!

Comment

I got a question i got both of my cv joints fixed but why would it be easyer to install a new axle? How do you know when your axle is going out? Sorry dont know nothing about susp....
                            Ratrod

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectProtege
                              I got a question i got both of my cv joints fixed but why would it be easyer to install a new axle? How do you know when your axle is going out? Sorry dont know nothing about susp....
                              because usually to put in a new cv joint you should take out the axle anywyas.. right.. so you might as well put a new axle in with no wear an tear on it.. it'll be alot more beneficial to your car.. plsu i hear the factory boots last longer than the kits anyways
                              Pewter Silver 92 DX 5 Spd 1.8L SOHC
                              -Stainless steel MagnaFlow exhaust with a double walled tip.
                              -205/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE910 rubber
                              -B&M Short Throw Shifter
                              -MX-3 GS front seats
                              -Front an Rear upper strut braces

(LOOKING FOR A CAI FOR MY SOHC !!!!)
                              (GT-X on the way as I type)

Comment

Working...
                              X