Gas octane rating and sparkplugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas octane rating and sparkplugs

2 Quick questions first I know this has been debated to death but I got a different question I know our engines are designed to run best on 87 octane and there is no reason to use anything higher unless you run a turbo but what about headers does it make a difference should I use a higher octane? And also how often does everyone change their plugs? I use Denso Iridiums and I change them once a year, any thoughts? Thanks

99ES AWR header w/thermotec graphite black header wrap and CEL/MIL eliminator, AEM SRI, Custom 2.25 SS catback, Eibach Prokit, KYB struts, Powerstop slotted rotors, EBC greenstuff pads, B&M short shifter, Redline MT-90 tranny oil, Optima redtop,Magnecor wires, Denso Iridium plugs, Catz Zetas 8500k bulbs

Headers will not increase the possibility of detonation, therefore, higher octane won't be necessesary.

Plug change frequency, for me - copper ~15,000 miles irridium ~30,000 miles. Usually, I see them rated at 30,000 and 100,000 miles respectively.

Comment

i alwayz used 93 octane...car alwayz felt better!

gno is right headers do not directly affect detonation!

Chas

Comment

when i bought the CAI my engine started to ping and wouldn't stop unless used 89 or premium. think the CAI would cuase that or is it something else?
        sigpic
        1987 Rx7 TurboII (Stripped and Crush R.I.P )
        1987 Rx7 Sport (Street port Rebuild almost done.)
        2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe w/ sports package

Comment

Perhaps it caused you to run lean... ?
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

change your fuel filter before you start to by expensive gas

Comment

Originally posted by BMW ///MPOWER
              change your fuel filter before you start to by expensive gas
              And that is located where? In the tank? By the fuel pump?
              Sorry for the noobish question.

Comment

Either on the firewall (apparently later Proteges don't have these) or in the gas tank.
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
                X