Shift boots...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift boots...

I'm looking for a good shift boot to replace the ****ty rubber one that was stockl with my 98 ES. Just installed the TWM short shifter and am looking for a good one that I know will fit. Until then I'm rockin no boot, which is kinda ghetto. Some sites maybe? I was looking at the $20 leather ractive ones as a quick solution, but there's like a 2 inch difference in shifter height now, so I want something that will have a good fit, designed for a short shifter perhaps?
    <a href="http://www.cardomain.com/id/borisoft">My Cardomain Page</a>
    Brilliant Black 1998 Mazda Protege ES 1.8L DOHC 5 speed
    15" ASA JS1 Wheels with Yokohama Avid T4 Tires
    TWM Short Shifter
    Ractive Intake

any leather shift boot will fit...they are designed to be universal.
    There is a square plastic ring around the bottom of your shifter, unscrew this, slip the boot over till its the length you want and then put the ring back on. It will pinch/sandwich the boot!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
    1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
    Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

I got a generic leather boot of Ebay. Fits great, looks better. It makes a huge difference. A leather wrapped wheel, leather shift knob and boot just add a touch of class that was sorely missing.

Comment

After some thought, I decided to get a free boot made from www.speedboots.com . Its free bc they don't have one for the 2nd gen yet, and they look really nice. Plus since its in NY i won't have to wait a week and pay $10 shipping to have a small box packed into a bigger box(corksport i'm looking at you). Just sent out my original boot today for him to copy (in hq vinyl, not the lame rubber), hope Isabel doesn't mess with my boots.
        TWM Short Shifter
        Ractive Intake

Comment

are you getting shift and ebrake boots. If he's making one now, I'll have to drop him an email.
          95 ES
          05 S60R

Comment

I'm only getting the shift boot. If you get one tell him Mike sent you. Riding around with no shift boot is shameful enough, dunno how i'd feel with no ebrake handle as well.
            TWM Short Shifter
            Ractive Intake

Comment

any shift boot should do

I bought a standard one from Stylin Concepts, it was a bit longer but what i did was fold down the top of it a bit then use a tie wrap to hold it up in place all the time.. Looks pretty nice too.. THe bottom of the boot is an elastic so that it fits around the border where that ugly rubber one was. I hated that thing with a passion, i did the same getto style shifter for a while too. But then i put the leather boot in and i was much happier.. Looks 100 times better..
              here is a pict of mine..

But i think they are all the same...
              How much did u get the short shifter kit for.. I am thinkin about that ... does it make a nice difference.....

Comment

Have you herd anything back from speedboots.com? I email him about a month and a half ago and then a month ago and still haven't herd a thing. I've been looking for one too cause I hate the rubber one as much as murcielago. The one from stylin comcepts looks nice. I might have to check into one of those.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
                Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
                I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

You know, if you take the center console piece off (where the cupholder/shifter is), and flip it over, there is a ring that held in with 2 bolts. You take this off, insert the shift boot into the shifter hole and put the 'ring' over top of the excess boot and put the two screws back in. This is the PROPER way to install the leather boot.
                  If this IS how you did, nevermind my post then!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                  1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                  Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

I just put in a B&M short shift kit, definitely makes a difference, first time I got in the car I just started smiling. . . feels completely normal to me now, I'd hate to go back to stock, would feel like driving a semi. . .

Comment

Has anyone had their stock shift boot come out? Mine is just kinda hangin off the shifter knob cause it doesn't seem long enough. I'm tired of stretching it back down and having it pop out again so I've just left it til I can get a nice boot

Comment

I'll probably just rip a patch of leather off some old seats at the junkyard and try to make my own. Couldn't hurt!
                        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
                          I just put in a B&M short shift kit, definitely makes a difference, first time I got in the car I just started smiling. . . feels completely normal to me now, I'd hate to go back to stock, would feel like driving a semi. . .
                          my B&M didn't fit, it actually ripped an o-ring it was too tight, i have yet to contact them, 'cause that shouldn't happen. otherwise a lower profile o-ring would solve the problem.
                          95 ES
                          05 S60R

Comment

Mine was upside down when I went to install it. Make sure the bushing piece is the right side up on the lever. I'm not sure why but it was flipped around.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
                            Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
                            I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by murcielago
                              I

I busted that same part on my centre console too.
                              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Working...
                              X