Replacing a valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing a valve cover gasket

I am sure that there is a simle way to do this, but I would rather take a dummy approach to this and ask for any tips/tools I might need to change valve cover gasket, how long of a downtime it is for the car, and any advice possible is appreciatied. Thank you.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

as long as you've got the right gasket it should be a simple two minute operation.....

undo bolts, valve cover pops off, pull rubber gasket, replace rubber gasket, check for obsturctions or perished rubber, put valve cover back on, tighten bolts, drive away, check for leaks.

while you have the cover off you might see if there is any oily crap or buildup around the underside of the cover where the breather valve exits - if you can give it a bit of a clean then do so.... otherwise you are done and done!

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan
      as long as you've got the right gasket it should be a simple two minute operation.....

undo bolts, valve cover pops off, pull rubber gasket, replace rubber gasket, check for obsturctions or perished rubber, put valve cover back on, tighten bolts, drive away, check for leaks.

while you have the cover off you might see if there is any oily crap or buildup around the underside of the cover where the breather valve exits - if you can give it a bit of a clean then do so.... otherwise you are done and done!
      I'd spend more than 2 minutes to make it a quality job

Yes, make sure it is clean, you can use the gasket sealant in the corners to help too. Torque the bolts properly, if you over-tighten them it's a major pain in the ass.
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

It won't take you long , the bolts are a 10 mm .. and you basically have to
        1. remove the spark plug wires
        2. take the time and note how the old gasket sits in the valve cover
        a. there is a crease that the gasket fits in on the valve cover.
        3. pull off the gasket carefully(I don't know the condition of it)
        4. give your timeing belt a good inspection
        5. put on the new gasket in the valve cover creases.
        6. use some valve cover gasket maker and dap some on the cylnder head in the little corners of the cam ... (maybe someone can make a scan)
        7. put the cover on and just check that the gasket is in the right place.
        8. install the screws and hand tighten
        9. use the ratchet and tighten the screws down starting from the top left bolt to the top right bolt, then (if I remeber right) the center left to the center right and then the bottom left to the bottom right..

Take your time tourquen them down because as you move along other screws will loosen due to the valve cover getting closer to the head.

It's pretty simple , just take your time and don't rush ..
        Bruce
        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Thanks, guys. I noticed under my hood there is a sticker with the bolt pattern and the torque setting I should use.

Lastly, is there a premium gasket I can get, or should I get anything NAPA might have? Also, other then 3M, which other brands out there that are good.

Bruce, I followed all points but #6. I hope that some can make a scan.

Thanks guys.
          "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Working...
          X