Short Shifter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Shifter question

was riding in my pro the other day thinking about my shifter. It feels like there is so much throw in it- like driving a tow truck or something. So then I got to thinking about something- what if I were to cut the stock shifter down a few inches then re-thread it? Would that work or is there something about short shifter kits I dont know? thanks

do a search on short shifter.

no, cutting your stock shifter will NOT shorten your throw

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Shortening the shifter lever from the top doesn't shorten the time it takes to shift from gear to gear.....it really only makes you have to reach lower to reach your shift knob. To shorten your throw, you (basically) have to lengthen the distance between the pivot point of the shifter and the bushing at the end of the lever. Doing this wrong, however, can lead to serious problems with your synchros and really, shouldn't be done at home. An aftermarket short shifter is the only way to go.

Comment

And if you get an aftermarket short shifter, try and get urethane bushings because i'm told it helps out by making it easier. I have one but I have yet to get it installed.
        Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Working...
        X