bad breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad breaks

Ok its official, the OE brake on the 99es 1.8L suck balls, they fade to quickly. i have a couple questions regarding brakes on a 99 es 1.8L , what kind of caliper do they have(how many pistons, floating, etc.)? has any one used red stuff brake pads? will i be able to put on larger rotors with the factory caliper, does any one have slotted or cross drilled rotors? does removing the dust shields help brake cooling? also i wanna make my brake peddel firmer, has any one put in a larger master brake cylinder or have any ideas how I could? thanks because autoX starts soon and these brakes fade way to fast and the pedal travel is too long without enough effort.

you need to bleed your brakes
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

i'll answer a few of the Qs...
      they are 1 piston brakes.
      no the calipers will not work with bigger rotors.
      new brake pads? - go with KVR
      a bunch of people on msprotege.com have drilled/slotted rotors

if you want a firmer FEEL to the brake.. you can get a big brake kit... it'll feel better, but it actually decreases your actual braking power.
      if you go out and buy Boost, by Car and Driver (new mag this month) they actually have an article talking about big brakes

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
      RB springs
      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
      MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Leave the stock rotors please Bleed the brakes first thing. Use Castrol GT-LMA or Valvoline SynPower brake fluid. If that's not good enough get better pads. Somebody else should know which brand, I don't know.

Comment

I have a 99 ES with Powerstop slotted rotors and EBC greenstuff brake pads, much better stopping power, good bite, and no dust, good combo IMO

99ES AWR Headers, AEM SRI, 2.25 custom SS catback, B&M short shifter, Red Line MT 90, Eibach prokit, KYB struts, Powerstop slotted rotors, EBC greenstuff pads, optima redtop, magnecor wires, Denso Iridiums

Comment

aight thanks, ill bleed the brake when i get a chance. would a larger master brake cylinder help at all?

Comment

no man you dont need a larger MC, hey i also heard that steel braided brake lines will help with pedal firmness because they stop the line flex....dont quote me though, this is based on 50/50 discussions ive come accross.
              According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

aight you guys have helped alot, another Q i have is...... what would you recommend for autoX hawk race pads or EBC green stuff or red stuff?

Comment

I've heard Hawk HPS are a good balance for street and autocross pads. Not sure about the EBCs

Comment

are hawks loud? i dont mind dusting and all that but if there loud thats just anoying.

Comment

Working...
                    X