Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 Front brake pads

Hi,

Nobody seems to have a listing for the '03 Proteges. Not Hawk, not anybody. I called Mazdaspeed last summer after I got my DX and they said to get Hawk HB 219s, I think. I ordered some from the Tirerack but they were not the same as the pads that came on my car. Dimensionally they are similar but the factory pads sweep more area and have different mounting tabs on them. Tonight, I was browsing through an EBC catalog and I think I stumbled on my pads.

FMSI #D637, EBC pad DP2971, Hawk HB211

These are used on mid 90s Probes, some Kia Sephias, Mazda 626 and MX-6 cars and now, it looks like '03 Proteges.

I'm gonna verify this hopefully, tommorrow.

This is so cool! I really really need better pads for autocross.

Steve W.
    #9 HS

Hawks "HP Plus" work great for auto-x, and they make some for the DX, but be prepared for brake dust the likes of which no mortal man has ever seen and lived to tell about it. Seriously, I had some, they worked great, the brakes grabbed RIGHT NOW, but the dust was so bad I sold them to a friend who uses his P5 for auto-x only, not dual purpose like me.
    2002.5 DX Sedan, Garnet Red Mica, PIAA Headlights, Racing Beat MP3 springs, Tokico HP struts, Injen CAI, MSP axle-back exhaust, MSP S.T. brace, Mod-o-fied AWR 19MM rear bar, AWR end-links F/R, 16x7 alloys w/Paradas(street), 15x6 Miata OEM alloys w/Falken Azenis(Solo II STS), personalized plates "VTC FREE"
    I remember the days of racing when the the Drivers were Fat and the Tires were Skinny.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
      just get pads for the 99-00 1.8
      Yep, did, and they fit fine. Went with Hawk HP Plus (HB211).

Thanks,

Steve W.

Comment

speaking of dust - are there any Green Stuff pads made for proteges? i couldnt find any, but i hear they're DA BOMB when it comes to dust elimination
        2002 Protege LX
        ] Eibach Pro Springs [] Tokico HP shocks [] AWR rear swaybar [] PIAA Super Plasma GT-X [] custom CAI [] 30% all-around tints [] 17" Flik Wasps / Kumho Ecsta 711 tires [] APC Eurotails [

Comment

Alas, no, EBC doesn't make the "Green Stuff" (or any color for that matter) pads for our cars. I too have heard they are excellent.
          2002.5 DX Sedan, Garnet Red Mica, PIAA Headlights, Racing Beat MP3 springs, Tokico HP struts, Injen CAI, MSP axle-back exhaust, MSP S.T. brace, Mod-o-fied AWR 19MM rear bar, AWR end-links F/R, 16x7 alloys w/Paradas(street), 15x6 Miata OEM alloys w/Falken Azenis(Solo II STS), personalized plates "VTC FREE"
          I remember the days of racing when the the Drivers were Fat and the Tires were Skinny.

Comment

dusting doesnt matter to me what so ever, its the noise that i hate. are the hawks loud?

Comment

Originally posted by BMW ///MPOWER
              dusting doesnt matter to me what so ever, its the noise that i hate. are the hawks loud?
              I haven't noticed any noises I'd call abnormal or annoying. I get a slight squeak once in a while that could be because I didn't put in the stainless steel anti-squeal shims or whatever they are back in with the pads. It didn't look like they'd fit around the Hawk pads.

Hawk HPSs are supposed to be comparable to EBC Greenstuff according to the Tirerack guy. I used them on my Neons with no dust problems and they worked great. I think they are available for the different Protege front brakes, HB219s or HB211s depending on rotor size.

Steve W.

Comment

Working...
              X