"Breakout Box" for 97-98 TPS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Breakout Box" for 97-98 TPS??

Ive been told i have to have my TPS adjusted by a dealership using a breakout box. Has anyone ever had this done? Im wondering what kind of price im looking at. Also can someone explain to me how the hell it adjusts the tps????
    sigpic

its pretty easy to do with out the box. although the box is a no bs way to instantly do it. i have my own method that with a little practice is just as good.
    find it, **** it, forget it

Comment

Originally posted by bp 1.8
      its pretty easy to do with out the box. although the box is a no bs way to instantly do it. i have my own method that with a little practice is just as good.
      Aw come on man! You cant say something like that without explaining how. What do you do? Cause im not about to pay dealer prices for anything!
      sigpic

Comment

I got a 98 1.8l that I plan to drop before school starts in August... What exactly is the TPS? I mean do i have to have that done as well when i do put the motor in?
        Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

yeah bp1.8 inquireing minds want to know ...
          share the love.
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

alright.
            first of all DONT to this unless you require a tps adjustment. if everything is fine leave it alone. this isnt normally a maintence item, although the tps can wear and require adjustment in some circumstances. i have a 4 wire tps so i have no idea if this works on 3 wire or not.

what you do first is set youre idle speed by disconnecting the isc and screwing in the air bypass screw on the top of the throttle body all the way closed. then adjust the butterfly via the set screw to obtain the idle speed you wish. the air bypass screw should normally only be used for minor adjustment. this is important because the tps uses the idle speed as a baseline for its setting.
            then reconnect the isc and let the car calm down. usually once you reconnect it, it will idle high for a minute or 2 and also throw a cel, you can ignore the cel for now.
            once youre engine has calmed down and is idling at 750-800 rpm you need to losen up the tps via 2 bolts. the tps is adjustable just like a dizzy is, it can rotate left and right.
            rotate the top of the tps to the drivers side and then let the car calm down again, it normally freaks out when you play with the tps. once its calmed down and idling normally again, SLOWLY and i mean SLOWLY rotate the tps back to the passenger side and stop at the very point when the idle speed changes. it is at this very point that you need to back up about 006 thou and then you are done. keep in mind i said to go slow, as slow as humanly possible.

also you need to make sure the car has warmed up for 5-10 mins.
            if after adjusting the tps, you have an idle which falls up and down when using youre brakes and comming to a stop, you need to try adjusting the tps again and keep it a little to the driver side this time compared to where it was last set at. its so critical to go slow at this, and it normally takes me a few tries to get it set.

if you ever change youre throttle butterfly idle position via the set screw, you need to readjust the tps. thats what the air bypass screw is used for. to adjust the idle without touching the butterfly and consiquently needing to readjust the tps.

Comment

what is the ics...
              sounds like this may also explain my problem with my BP and it's ****ty starting after warm problems.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

idle speed controller. its plugin is right under the throttle body.

Comment

BP 1.8,
                  Good how to. Unfortunately that only works for the 95-96 TPS'. They are 4 wire. The 97-98 tps can not be rotated and only have 3 wires. Sucks ass but i know thats what is wrong with my car. The idle will rise and drop when i brake and when its not doing that its sounds real lumpy. Also when i watch my air/fuel gauge its goes from real rich to real lean, this happens at idle and cruise. I have found out that by unplugging the tps the ecu will rely only on the mass air sensor and when i do that the car idles great (but high) and the air/fuel ratio is always perfect to slightly rich.

Bruce, I know thats whats wrong with yours too. Just be glad you dont have to have a dealer tune your tps.
                  sigpic

Comment

whats a breakout box gonna do if youre tps isnt adjustable though?

Comment

Originally posted by bp 1.8
                      whats a breakout box gonna do if youre tps isnt adjustable though?
                      I dont know. I dont even know what the hell a breakout box is. hehe. All i know is that my Haynes manual said that the tps' after 97 have to be adjusted at a dealer with a breakout box.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OCD-SPEED
                        BP 1.8,
                        Good how to. Unfortunately that only works for the 95-96 TPS'. They are 4 wire. The 97-98 tps can not be rotated and only have 3 wires. Sucks ass but i know thats what is wrong with my car. The idle will rise and drop when i brake and when its not doing that its sounds real lumpy. Also when i watch my air/fuel gauge its goes from real rich to real lean, this happens at idle and cruise. I have found out that by unplugging the tps the ecu will rely only on the mass air sensor and when i do that the car idles great (but high) and the air/fuel ratio is always perfect to slightly rich.

Bruce, I know thats whats wrong with yours too. Just be glad you dont have to have a dealer tune your tps.
                        My 2nd gen idles perfect. I need to do this to my 323. But I don't think it is my TPS though.
                        Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

ocd, a breakout box is a tool to set the position of the tps in relation to the position of the butterfly, while at idle. its basically a diagnostic tool you connect to the narness and then you slowly adjust the tps untill the box says "stop" or a redlight comes on, somthing like that.
                          there has to be a way to adjust youre tps, or atleast adjust the butterfly while leaving the tps in its set place.

Comment

Well i went to the dealership today and talked to one of the technicians. He said there was no way to adjust my TPS.. It is pre set or some ****. But the wierd thing is, my car idles real lumpy and the air fuel ratio is static with the tps plugged in.. If i unplug the tps the air fuel becomes perfect and the idle is no longer lumpy....Interesting huh?
                            sigpic

Comment

Are you pulling any Check engine lights?

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                              X