short ram or CAI??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

short ram or CAI??

im planning on buying an intake system....
    however my concerned is to improve the air flow without compromising the torque....if any i wish to gain torque instead....
    which intake system could siut me better???
    any help will do.....Thanks
    "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he how in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper, and the father of lost children. And I will strike down thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to destroy my brother. And they shall know my name is the lord when I raise my vengeance upon them."
    Ezekiel 25:17
    from Pulp Fiction

I'd say go with a CAI theres tons on ebay for cheap, I ordered one from there 37$ and it is the true cai not short ram like most end up getting
    2003 Mazda Protege LX
    Laser Blue
    www.cardomain.com/id/thejackyl
    Old Car
    1998 Kia Sephia LS
    Custom Front Bumper, motegi gunmetal mr7s wrapped in Nitto 450 Xtremes, OBX exhaust, Custom CAI, CUstom interior

Comment

I just got a CAI
      Sagaris

Comment

Without opening the "mine's better" wars, this is what I learned using a 12V remote ambient temperature gauge. We tried the sending unit in 3 different places; where the stock air intake is (near the hood/grill closure area), where a short ram air filter would sit, and down in the wheelwell (a la Injen's CAI). On the freeway at 65-70 MPH, the wheelwell was consistently 10-15 degrees cooler than either the stock location or the short ram location, of which both were very close in temperature range. This probably doesn't prove what works best, just a FYI for anyone who's interested.
        2002.5 DX Sedan, Garnet Red Mica, PIAA Headlights, Racing Beat MP3 springs, Tokico HP struts, Injen CAI, MSP axle-back exhaust, MSP S.T. brace, Mod-o-fied AWR 19MM rear bar, AWR end-links F/R, 16x7 alloys w/Paradas(street), 15x6 Miata OEM alloys w/Falken Azenis(Solo II STS), personalized plates "VTC FREE"
        I remember the days of racing when the the Drivers were Fat and the Tires were Skinny.

Comment

What about sitting in traffic on a hot day??
          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

so the wheelwell then would get more hp caz more colder air right or no?
            2003 Mazda Protege LX
            Laser Blue
            Old Car
            1998 Kia Sephia LS
            Custom Front Bumper, motegi gunmetal mr7s wrapped in Nitto 450 Xtremes, OBX exhaust, Custom CAI, CUstom interior

Comment

Originally posted by TheJackyl
              so the wheelwell then would get more hp caz more colder air right or no?
              All else being equal, the system that takes in colder air produces more HP. This is because, considering only temperature, HP varies as the square root of the change in ABSOLUTE temperature.

Reference:
              The Design and Tuning of Competition Engines by Philip H. Smith
              p.370-1
              Last edited by goldstar; 04-21-2004, 02:38 PM.
              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

What if it rains the fliter will be suckin in water right that would only be the wroth thing that could happen
                Ratrod

Comment

^^ bypass
                  Sagaris

Comment

I've heard the bypass valve is useless and not really worth it, true?
                    2003 Mazda Protege LX
                    Laser Blue
                    Old Car
                    1998 Kia Sephia LS

Comment

Originally posted by TheJackyl
                      I've heard the bypass valve is useless and not really worth it, true?
                      Yes, it will negate most gains that you installed the CAI for in the first place.

02 DX Millenium Red
                      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

when you think about it, it really deosnt make a difference because if you are lookin for hp gains with just a cai your not going to get very far. I just like the way it sounds
                        Sagaris

Comment

Our cars don't suck enough air to actually suck water in.

A long time ago I made a custom cold air intake -- bent muffler pipe style. and home depot style. ( I made 2).

The bent muffler was the one that was most noticeable during acceleration. I placed the filter all the way down at the bottom of the fender wall and this definetly caused an improvement in acceleration.
                          However there was plenty of times while driving in the raid the filter was soaking wet, checked with my hand. But I never had a problem. This was like 4 or 5 years ago though.

I say cold air intake all the way.
                          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

i want to custom make me a cold air intake today for my 323 but when i pulled out my intake box i noticed down there (where the coolant reservoir is) aint no hole. for the engine to get a cold air. So wut i did was cut 5"x5" metal piece off the fender to get all the cooler air i can get on the top end.

I dont use the aftermartket cone type filter bcuz of the cops. I put back my stock intake box w/ the K n N filter and cut open the lower portion of the stock intake box to get more air. FOr some reason the throttle aint responsive like the cone type but i have to deal with it better than the cops ticket for having after market cone filter.

Comment

Working...
                            X