Questions about GT SPEC Chassis and Suspension Stiffening Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about GT SPEC Chassis and Suspension Stiffening Bars

I currently have OEM suspension with the exception of alloy wheels and wider tires. In the future I plan to change to MP3/MSD springs and struts but for now, I only want to focus on these bars. Since I have a sedan in which the rear strut towers are already tied together by the frame, I am not interested in the Rear Strut Tower bar, the 4 Point Linkage Bar for Trunk or the Trunk Reinforcement Bar. Also, I don't want to encroach on my trunk space. Likewise, I already have the MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit so am not interested in the one made by GT SPEC.

Incidently, I found all these components listed on the Corksport website and yes, I'm aware that one of our own vendors, AXR, sells them. I am far from a suspension expert and would appreciate any advice that anyone could provide on the following components:

Front 4 Point Ladder Bar
    Does this component serve the same function as and replace the part listed in the FSM as the Transverse Member?

Tie Bar-Front
    I can't seem to find its counterpart on the car. Is this an add-on device that is absent on the stock suspension? If so, it seems like it would provide additional chassis rigidity. If it's an add-on, where does it mount?

Lateral Arms
    Same as Trailing Links listed in the FSM?

Tie Bar-Rear
    I can't seem to find this in the FSM unless it refers to either the front or rear lateral link? Or is it a separate add-on?

Protective Panel
    I have no idea what it is or what it does other than it mounts in the front.

I assume that the additional stiffness of the GT components is what makes for an improvement in handling. However, aluminum is not inherently more rigid than steel so is it the hollow structure that enhances the rigidty over that attainable with a solid structure? Also, is aluminum strong enough to withstand the forces that the OEM steel components are designed for?

I note that some of the GT components have a HALLOW internal structure. Is it the fact that these pieces are holy and consecrated that gives them their superior strength? Just kidding-I know hallow must have a structural definition as well but I couldn't find it in my Machinists Handbook.

Any of your answers, comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I may be interested in installing some of these components if the consensus of the experts here is that they are worthwhile.

Finally, can these components be installed with hand tools (breaker bars and such) or are air tools a requirement to do the job right.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Most of the GT SPEC components are add ons on the car to improve rigidity on different areas of the car.

Hallow aluminum has been proven to be strong than solid steel or a round frame.

Hallow is not really a common term but the frame is rectangular and hollow. Less flex than a solid bar.

All these components can be installed using regular tools.

Thanks,

Chris

Originally posted by goldstar
    I currently have OEM suspension with the exception of alloy wheels and wider tires. In the future I plan to change to MP3/MSD springs and struts but for now, I only want to focus on these bars. Since I have a sedan in which the rear strut towers are already tied together by the frame, I am not interested in the Rear Strut Tower bar, the 4 Point Linkage Bar for Trunk or the Trunk Reinforcement Bar. Also, I don't want to encroach on my trunk space. Likewise, I already have the MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit so am not interested in the one made by GT SPEC.

Incidently, I found all these components listed on the Corksport website and yes, I'm aware that one of our own vendors, AXR, sells them. I am far from a suspension expert and would appreciate any advice that anyone could provide on the following components:

Front 4 Point Ladder Bar
    Does this component serve the same function as and replace the part listed in the FSM as the Transverse Member?

Tie Bar-Front
    I can't seem to find its counterpart on the car. Is this an add-on device that is absent on the stock suspension? If so, it seems like it would provide additional chassis rigidity. If it's an add-on, where does it mount?

Lateral Arms
    Same as Trailing Links listed in the FSM?

Tie Bar-Rear
    I can't seem to find this in the FSM unless it refers to either the front or rear lateral link? Or is it a separate add-on?

Protective Panel
    I have no idea what it is or what it does other than it mounts in the front.

I assume that the additional stiffness of the GT components is what makes for an improvement in handling. However, aluminum is not inherently more rigid than steel so is it the hollow structure that enhances the rigidty over that attainable with a solid structure? Also, is aluminum strong enough to withstand the forces that the OEM steel components are designed for?

I note that some of the GT components have a HALLOW internal structure. Is it the fact that these pieces are holy and consecrated that gives them their superior strength? Just kidding-I know hallow must have a structural definition as well but I couldn't find it in my Machinists Handbook.

Any of your answers, comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I may be interested in installing some of these components if the consensus of the experts here is that they are worthwhile.

Finally, can these components be installed with hand tools (breaker bars and such) or are air tools a requirement to do the job right.
    www.edoperformance.com
    GT SPEC, Defi Gauges, and more...

chris@edoperformance.com
    sales@edoperformance.com

Comment

Here are some pics of hallow structure.

chris
      www.edoperformance.com

chris@edoperformance.com
      sales@edoperformance.com

Comment

Edo Performance,

Thank you for the information. It looks like some of these components could help improve my car's handling and would be easy to install. When I'm ready to buy, I'll keep your company in mind.

02 DX Millenium Red
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Thanks, we will be happy to help you build your car.

Regards,

Chris

Originally posted by goldstar
          Edo Performance,

Thank you for the information. It looks like some of these components could help improve my car's handling and would be easy to install. When I'm ready to buy, I'll keep your company in mind.

02 DX Millenium Red
          www.edoperformance.com

chris@edoperformance.com
          sales@edoperformance.com

Comment

Working...
          X