Surface Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surface Rust

What can I do about surface rust? I have quite a few dings on my LX that are starting to get rusty, what should I do about them? I don't want to just sand them down and be driving around a dalmation car, can I get touch-up paint somewhere?
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

Depending on the severity of rust. If it is pretty bad, I would do some grusome sanding, lots of cleaning, and spending many hours sanding and filing, and only then you need to prime it at least 2-3 times, and the same goes for final paint. It is a long and painfull process, that is if you want to get it done and make it look good. It requires a lot patience. And since your car is fairly old, the new paint will show, so I would suggest to wax and clear coat the car to smoothen the effect.

If it is not that bad at all, then make sure that yo the right touch up paint, but you still want to make sure that you have a clean environment, so some minor sanding might be needed. Clean with alcohol, no need to prime and just touch up. Then again, wax and clear coat, because touch up will show much more.

Lastly, no matter how well you think you got rid of rust, it will come back one day or the other. Let the Force be with you.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Thanks for the reply. If I remember I'll take some pics to show you what I mean.
      Dan
      dreesemonkey

Comment

Working...
      X