ATTN: 2001+ Proteges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATTN: 2001+ Proteges

I have a 2001 Protege ES and for some reason, when I had my AC on a couple of weekends ago, the car felt like it was pulling and then it would drive normal and then pull again. (It felt much like cruise control kicking in before going up hill). Come to find out, this is a rare occurence, but some Mazda Protege owners are experiencing this. They had to order a part that was supposed to be shipped overnight express, but it didn't come in yesterday, so I am in a rental still (2nd day in a row), but it should be ready this afternoon I hope. I just wanted to bring this to your attention because if you experience this, you should get it checked out. I'll keep you posted on what exactly what the cause of the problem is and give you more input this afternoon hopefully (if the car is ready). I have had no problems to date, but wanted to make sure that people be aware of this.
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

hmm. yeah.. if it's just the A/C causing the Cruise to pop in.. i'm safe, not having Cruise on my car..

but keep us up to date... that's a WEIRD problem.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

thanks for heads up. good to know.
      2002.5 protege dx

Comment

IT's not the cruise control or anything to do with CC, it's the AC making the engine pull much like CC does when you get to an incline. Sorry if it wasn't that clear. I think it may be the compressor, but will find out for sure this afternoon (knock on wood).

I don't know about any one else, but the AC in my car was never that cold at all! I would theorize that maybe it's because the car is black, but my dad has a 2 door black Tahoe, and his AC flat out freezes you (as does my mom's Toyota Camry). Maybe Mazdas suck when it comes to AC. The Hyundai's AC kicks ass because it works great!! About the only thing I like about it. What do you guys think about your AC? Chas., SC gets VERY hot and HUMID that you sweat and the sweat almost sticks to you because of the humidity. It's like breathing through a hot wet wash cloth almost.

Groundkit

Comment

Just got back from the dealership and it was the expansion valve that goes to the air compressor. The cost would have been approximately 165.13 (plus 9.52 S/H) for labor and the part. Now it's not pulling and I am out of driving a POS rental car that is an auto tranny on top of that, and back in to my 5 speed ES (whewhoo!) You would think that they would have detailed it or at least done the inside since it was there for 2 days, but no go on that. I highly recommend any one who experiences this to get it checked out and mention the expansion valve thing to the service dept.

Groundkit

Comment

I never use/d ac on my car or any of my cars, ill have to check an see if mine does it while iz still under warranty
            2003 Mazda Protege LX
            Laser Blue
            www.cardomain.com/id/thejackyl
            Old Car
            1998 Kia Sephia LS
            Custom Front Bumper, motegi gunmetal mr7s wrapped in Nitto 450 Xtremes, OBX exhaust, Custom CAI, CUstom interior

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep an eye out for that.
              My AC does just fine, plenty cold, but it's a white car with tan seats in Minnesota. I should hope it would keep up.
              ~Mark.
              2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

My A/C is straight up freezing, and in a black car with grey interior.
                2003 Protege LX 2.0 (BJFP) Sport package (New motor at 24,885 miles on 5/26/05), 5 Speed. Black Mica.

Mods: Mazdaspeed front bumper/foglight conversion, Cold Air Intake w/ K&N filter, OBX header with sport muffler, Full Mazdaspeed suspension with 5-lug/ 4-disc conversion and Racing Beat upgraded sway-bars, "E" level bushing kit, 2.25 inch trimmed Sprint Performance lowering springs, Mazdaspeed strut tower brace, smoked tails, Short shifter, Corksport clutch hose, black pearl emblem kit, Silverstar headlights, and limo tint

Future mods include: DGM carbon fiber grille and air dam, 2003 Mazdaspeed spoiler and side sills, Corksport full exhaust, grounding kit and then hmmm...turbo?

Comment

Working...
                X